News Briefs

UMNews

Two top physicians hired to Miller School of Medicine

Dr. Joshua M. Hare and Eli Gilboa, Ph.D., were recently hired to the Miller School of Medicine’s faculty in an attempt to broaden the school’s national expertise. Dr. Hare was named chief of the Division of Cardiology and director of the school’s new interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute. Hare, a cardiologist from Johns Hopkins University, directed the heart failure programs at Johns Hopkins and helped pioneer the use of stem cell therapy to repair damaged hearts. Gilboa, who previously held dual appointments at Duke University’s Department of Surgery and Immunology, received a dual appointment in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology and in the Division of Hematology Oncology at UM. Gilboa is best known for his work in developing immune therapies against cancer and HIV/AIDS.

ElseWhere

Alcohol dependence in college slows recovery later, study says

By Lauren Magnuson
The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – Drinkers who become alcohol-dependent at a young age are less likely to recover quickly and without complications than their peers, according to study released Sept. 3 by the Boston University School of Public Health (SPH).

SPH professors Ralph Hingson, Timothy Heeren and Michael Winter conducted the study, which showed a strong correlation between the age of dependence onset and the difficulty of recovery.

The study follows a July report, based on the same set of data, that found adolescents more likely to become alcoholics if they begin drinking at a young age. According to Hingson, almost half of the individuals in the recent national study of adults 18 and over who had become dependent developed dependence before the legal drinking age, and two-thirds before age 25. These young people were less likely to seek treatment for their dependence and waited longer to do so if they made that decision.

According to Hingson, a study conducted at the University of California at San Diego found that alcohol-dependent adolescents have less frontal lobe activity and difficulty with memory and planning. While it is unknown if these findings were a direct result of alcohol abuse, Hingson said “we know that the brain develops until we are in our mid-twenties.”

The researchers stressed the importance of education, screenings and treatment programs to help delay the onset of alcohol dependence.

ETC.

The Toppel Career Center will be holding several internship informational programs this fall and is looking for students with prior internship experience to take part in their student-led panel discussion. The next session will be on Thursday, Sept. 14, in the Toppel Career Center. Interested students are advised to call (305) 284-1816.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...