News Briefs

UMNews

Two UM deans to step down to pursue other responsibilities

The university recently announced that two deans, each holding two concurrent administrative positions , will resign from one of their positions in order to focus their attention on the other. M. Lewis Temares will be stepping down as dean of the College of Engineering, and Steven G. Ullmann will step down as dean of the Graduate School. Both Temares and Ullmann will now be focusing on a single administrative role – Temares on his role as vice president for information technology and chief information officer, and Ullmann on his role as vice provost for faculty affairs and university administration. Both will continue to serve as deans of their respective schools until their successors are named.

ElseWhere

Boston University junior runs for House seat

By Caitlin O’Neil

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – As if balancing finances, a full courseload and trying to have a social life were not difficult enough for a college student, one Boston University student has decided to complicate his busy college life by running for the state Legislature.

Emery Markles, 20, is running in the Democratic primary Sept. 19 against Nate Kaplan for the chance to battle incumbent Representative Lewis Evangelidis in November.

An emergency election for state representative in Boston last winter inspired Markles to get involved in his home district’s election.

“I was joking around with my roommate last winter about tossing my hat in the ring,” the College of Arts and Sciences junior said. “I thought, ‘Why not?’ So I weighed the pros and cons and thought, ‘I can do this.’ If nothing else, it gets my name out there.”

Markles said even though he will live on campus and attend classes full-time, he is completely committed to representing the people of his district, an issue his opponent has called into question. Markles said one of his key campaign issues is a push for additional state money for local programs and education.

“In the past several years, there has been a significant population increase in western Massachusetts, but state funding is not matching this increase,” he said. “You can’t have the services of a small town in a big one.”

Markles said he has the full support of his family and friends behind him as he hopes for a victory in next week’s primary.

ETC.

Students should be advised that parking spaces at the Ponce de Leon garage will be limited for the next two weeks. Residents of University Village will be utilizing the garage for parking until the completion of their own parking garage opens for business at the end of the month. Student drivers should allow more time for parking during this transition.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...