News Briefs

UMNews

Two UM deans to step down to pursue other responsibilities

The university recently announced that two deans, each holding two concurrent administrative positions , will resign from one of their positions in order to focus their attention on the other. M. Lewis Temares will be stepping down as dean of the College of Engineering, and Steven G. Ullmann will step down as dean of the Graduate School. Both Temares and Ullmann will now be focusing on a single administrative role – Temares on his role as vice president for information technology and chief information officer, and Ullmann on his role as vice provost for faculty affairs and university administration. Both will continue to serve as deans of their respective schools until their successors are named.

ElseWhere

Boston University junior runs for House seat

By Caitlin O’Neil

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – As if balancing finances, a full courseload and trying to have a social life were not difficult enough for a college student, one Boston University student has decided to complicate his busy college life by running for the state Legislature.

Emery Markles, 20, is running in the Democratic primary Sept. 19 against Nate Kaplan for the chance to battle incumbent Representative Lewis Evangelidis in November.

An emergency election for state representative in Boston last winter inspired Markles to get involved in his home district’s election.

“I was joking around with my roommate last winter about tossing my hat in the ring,” the College of Arts and Sciences junior said. “I thought, ‘Why not?’ So I weighed the pros and cons and thought, ‘I can do this.’ If nothing else, it gets my name out there.”

Markles said even though he will live on campus and attend classes full-time, he is completely committed to representing the people of his district, an issue his opponent has called into question. Markles said one of his key campaign issues is a push for additional state money for local programs and education.

“In the past several years, there has been a significant population increase in western Massachusetts, but state funding is not matching this increase,” he said. “You can’t have the services of a small town in a big one.”

Markles said he has the full support of his family and friends behind him as he hopes for a victory in next week’s primary.

ETC.

Students should be advised that parking spaces at the Ponce de Leon garage will be limited for the next two weeks. Residents of University Village will be utilizing the garage for parking until the completion of their own parking garage opens for business at the end of the month. Student drivers should allow more time for parking during this transition.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...