News Briefs

UMNews

Two UM deans to step down to pursue other responsibilities

The university recently announced that two deans, each holding two concurrent administrative positions , will resign from one of their positions in order to focus their attention on the other. M. Lewis Temares will be stepping down as dean of the College of Engineering, and Steven G. Ullmann will step down as dean of the Graduate School. Both Temares and Ullmann will now be focusing on a single administrative role – Temares on his role as vice president for information technology and chief information officer, and Ullmann on his role as vice provost for faculty affairs and university administration. Both will continue to serve as deans of their respective schools until their successors are named.

ElseWhere

Boston University junior runs for House seat

By Caitlin O’Neil

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – As if balancing finances, a full courseload and trying to have a social life were not difficult enough for a college student, one Boston University student has decided to complicate his busy college life by running for the state Legislature.

Emery Markles, 20, is running in the Democratic primary Sept. 19 against Nate Kaplan for the chance to battle incumbent Representative Lewis Evangelidis in November.

An emergency election for state representative in Boston last winter inspired Markles to get involved in his home district’s election.

“I was joking around with my roommate last winter about tossing my hat in the ring,” the College of Arts and Sciences junior said. “I thought, ‘Why not?’ So I weighed the pros and cons and thought, ‘I can do this.’ If nothing else, it gets my name out there.”

Markles said even though he will live on campus and attend classes full-time, he is completely committed to representing the people of his district, an issue his opponent has called into question. Markles said one of his key campaign issues is a push for additional state money for local programs and education.

“In the past several years, there has been a significant population increase in western Massachusetts, but state funding is not matching this increase,” he said. “You can’t have the services of a small town in a big one.”

Markles said he has the full support of his family and friends behind him as he hopes for a victory in next week’s primary.

ETC.

Students should be advised that parking spaces at the Ponce de Leon garage will be limited for the next two weeks. Residents of University Village will be utilizing the garage for parking until the completion of their own parking garage opens for business at the end of the month. Student drivers should allow more time for parking during this transition.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...