Masters of disguise teach students the art of deception

They made cameras out of lipstick tubes and suit jacket buttons, forged government documents and transformed men into women and women into men.

For the duration of career, until their names were released from the Central Intelligence Agency, Tony and Jonna Mendez could not tell a soul.

But on a sunny Tuesday afternoon in the School of Communication courtyard, Tony and Jonna Mendez, who each have about 30 years of experience at the Central Intelligece Agency, confided with students about the tricks of the trade in disguise and deception. Distinguished by the CIA as one of 50 trailblazers or leaders within the history of the agency, Tony Mendez spoke of accounts previously retold in his books, The Master of Disguise and Spy Dust, which he co-authored with his wife, Jonna Mendez. These books are suggested reading for new CIA recruits.

Tony Mendez revealed how an operation involving the creation of a fake Hollywood film scouting party rescued six U.S. Diplomats from Iran during the 444-day hostage crisis.

“Hollywood is eccentric and would go anywhere, no matter the political situation,” Tony Mendez said. “The plan was so crazy that we thought it just might work.”

Jonna Mendez, a former chief of Disguise Division, highlighted some common American habits that they had to train out of their officers before sending them out on missions.

“The way you eat, smoke and how you wear you wedding ring on your left hand all identify you as an American,” she said.

Jonna Mendez explained that Americans always stand on one leg and slouch, while most Europeans stand straight on both legs.

Also, when Americans are standing near a wall, a column or a structure, they always lean against it.

She also recommended that if one wants to blend in with the locals, one should shop for clothes in their local stores and wear their clothing.

Both mentioned that there is not really one academic track for someone interested in joining the CIA. Some traits that are helpful are language skills, a knack for logic and problem solving and most of all passion for the job and the country one serves.

Most of all, both Tony and Jonna Mendez stressed, working at the CIA is not for someone who needs a lot of feedback on job performance.

“You can save the world on Tuesday and get no applause,” Jonna Mendez said. “Only internal gratification, it rules out a whole lot of people who need a pat on the back.”

There was a large student turnout to the event, filling every chair available and forcing many into standing room only.

Some students appreciated the frankness of the speakers about a subject not generally talked about.

“Intelligence in America is an issue surrounded by a lot of hype and secrecy, and it was interesting to have an insider’s view of both the exciting and tedious parts of the job,” Sivan Goobich, a sophomore, said.

Elaine Fenna, a sophomore, was glad to hear an account of those working in the CIA and appreciated the speakers’ pragmatic approach.

“I am glad that I had the opportunity to hear a first hand account of the experience of working for the CIA, and of the extensive work required to execute overseas operations,” she said. “While they did confirm some aspects of the otherwise unbelievable accounts of the agency’s work, they also dispelled a lot of the mysticism that usually surrounds the intelligence community.”

The lecture was sponsored by the School of Business and the Intelligence Awareness Organization, a student organization on campus whose stated mission is the discussion and education of intelligence gathering and espionage.

IAO may be contacted at iao.studorg@miami.edu regarding upcoming events.

Shelley Rood may be contacted at m.rood@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...