Letter to the Editor

I am disgusted at the blatant inaccuracy in the September 8 article “Cry for Help,” especially in regards to its claims about American troops serving in Iraq. Karyn Meshbane claims that “many soldiers in Iraq have gone AWOL,” while, as of date, only one soldier is reported to have gone absent without leave while deployed in Iraq. The correct term for this is not AWOL, but desertion, which is punishable by death during wartime. Soldiers have a responsibility to go to war if ordered to, just as professors and students at the University of Miami have a responsibility to attend class. Just as professors and university officials do not chase down students who skip class, the government does not chase down AWOL soldiers. Most are found when they receive a traffic violation or they commit another offense.

While it’s easy to slam the men and women of the armed forces as “baby killers,” soldiers are not ordered to kill innocent women and children. Yes, innocent people do die, but most deaths are occurring from sectarian violence, Iraqis killing other Iraqis, not by the hands of Americans. The few American soldiers who have murdered in Iraq, which is a small minority, are prosecuted to the full extent of the law under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.

It’s oversimplifying to say that the situation in the Middle East is about oil, economics, or power. The issues we face today have been brewing longer than most University of Miami students have been alive. Before commenting on politics, or disgracing the honor of those serving our country, Ms. Meshbane should research the facts. From the comfort of our private school lives, it’s easy to whine about all of the things that are wrong in the world. After being in Iraq for over three years now, the complaints are getting old. I’d be much more interested if someone could offer a solution.

Andrea DiFonte

Senior

In co-ordination with the 4th Infantry

Division, Baghdad, Iraq

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...