‘Cane defense looks to derail Cards

With one win under their belts, the Miami Hurricanes look to take their momentum and a strong defense into Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium against a high-powered Louisville Cardinal offense.

The ‘Canes enter the game 9-0-1 all-time against the Cardinals, and they look to keep that undefeated streak in tact. This will, by no stretch, be an easy game for the ‘Canes.

Miami comes into the game with a mediocre 1-1 record, as they were able to handle the Florida A&M Rattlers 51-10 last Saturday at the Orange Bowl, but still have the bad taste of a bitter loss to Florida State.

The Hurricanes are currently ranked No. 15 in the USA Today Poll and No. 17 in the Associated Press Poll.

A win against Louisville would help Miami’s cause to getting back into the top ten. Louisville is a formidable foe with a high-powered offense.

This will be Miami’s first game away from home this season, and it is scheduled to be Miami’s toughest road game of the season.

“If we go out and win a game like this on the road, it’s a huge statement,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “Louisville does not lose many games at home. They may be the best offense we face all season. It’s a tremendous challenge.”

While the Hurricanes fly up to Louisville with hopes of reviving their season, the Cardinals eagerly await their first real test of the year. Thus far, the Cardinals have posted a 2-0 record, and have absolutely dominated their opponents, as they defeated Kentucky 59-28 and blew away Temple 62-0.

The Cardinals are currently ranked No. 12 in both the AP and USA Today Polls.

Not only will this Saturday’s game be a battle between two of the nation’s top teams, but it will be a big time battle between Miami’s defense and Louisville’s offense. Miami comes into the game with the nation’s seventh ranked defense, while Louisville looks to show off their nationally ranked top offense.

The Hurricanes will have to deal with a Louisville offense that presents a dual threat rushing and passing attack, led by field general and Heisman trophy hopeful quarterback Brian Brohm. Brohm threw for 561 yards and two touchdowns in his first two games.

The ‘Canes defense will have their hands full with a multi-faceted rushing attack. The defense will not see Michael Bush, who is possibly the nation’s top running back and a frontrunner for the Heisman, after he broke his right leg in the third quarter of Louisville’s first game. Despite Bush’s absence in their second game, Louisville’s running game did not miss a beat. Five different backs found the endzone and three backs rushed for 70 plus yards.

Miami will have to put together a very solid offensive performance. Louisville does not present a major defensive threat, but Miami will not see the same opportunities that they had against FAMU.

“Looking at next week, we need to score alot of points against a good team,” Kyle Wright, quarterback, said. “We need to be efficient on offense.”

Miami has running back Tyrone Moss back in the fold, which should be a major boost for the offense. Moss was one of four Miami running backs to rush for over 60 yards in last Saturday’s game against FAMU.

With one big-time offense, one big-time defense and two big-time teams, this game should prove to be a big-time ordeal. With kickoff scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Saturday, this heavyweight bout will be a game marked by fireworks, whether it be from the powerful hits, rocket passes, or blazing runs.

Upcoming games

Sad the UM vs Louisville game is away? The next three are at home:

Saturday 9/30 vs. Houston
Saturday 10/7 vs. UNC
Saturday 10/14 vs. FIU

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.