The Rock, gang of teens portray gritty realism in Gridiron Gang

Like this weekend’s premieres, Gridiron Gang is a study in contrasts. As one would expect, the movie plays to its demographic – if you enjoyed Remember the Titans you will certainly find a lot to like about this film – but it also provides a startling juxtaposition between films like Titans and the tragic circumstances that surround troubled youths like the ones profiled here.

For every laugh the movie delivers they counter with an often graphic portrayal of the horrifying events these teens must witness and the emotional impact is amplified when you consider that the film is based on a true story.

While some characters and events are fictionalized, the bulk of the story – and even some of The Rock’s dialogue – is taken straight from footage captured in the Emmy-winning documentary on which the movie is based.

Casting these elements against each other, however, does disrupt the film in a few places and scenes are plagued by unevenness; just prior to a compelling drive-by scene there are a few jilted seconds of dialogue which seem just a step out of touch with reality. It would be less of an issue if the problem wasn’t repeated throughout the movie and while there are hiccups like this throughout the movie, the generally effective performances by a few talented young actors and an interesting, documentary-like visual style capably complement what is already a powerful, inspiring story.

The Rock’s performance is solid, although much flexing of his acting muscle isn’t necessitated; documentary footage included with the credits implies that his character, coach Sean Porter, was the sort of dry, slightly abrasive foot soldier that The Rock has already played in other movies. In his emotional scenes, however, he’s effective. By the end of the movie, though, it’s just as you might have expected: The story is so riveting and the message so positive that the cheese and predictability don’t really matter.

Nate Harris may be contacted at n.harris2@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...