The Rock, gang of teens portray gritty realism in Gridiron Gang

Like this weekend’s premieres, Gridiron Gang is a study in contrasts. As one would expect, the movie plays to its demographic – if you enjoyed Remember the Titans you will certainly find a lot to like about this film – but it also provides a startling juxtaposition between films like Titans and the tragic circumstances that surround troubled youths like the ones profiled here.

For every laugh the movie delivers they counter with an often graphic portrayal of the horrifying events these teens must witness and the emotional impact is amplified when you consider that the film is based on a true story.

While some characters and events are fictionalized, the bulk of the story – and even some of The Rock’s dialogue – is taken straight from footage captured in the Emmy-winning documentary on which the movie is based.

Casting these elements against each other, however, does disrupt the film in a few places and scenes are plagued by unevenness; just prior to a compelling drive-by scene there are a few jilted seconds of dialogue which seem just a step out of touch with reality. It would be less of an issue if the problem wasn’t repeated throughout the movie and while there are hiccups like this throughout the movie, the generally effective performances by a few talented young actors and an interesting, documentary-like visual style capably complement what is already a powerful, inspiring story.

The Rock’s performance is solid, although much flexing of his acting muscle isn’t necessitated; documentary footage included with the credits implies that his character, coach Sean Porter, was the sort of dry, slightly abrasive foot soldier that The Rock has already played in other movies. In his emotional scenes, however, he’s effective. By the end of the movie, though, it’s just as you might have expected: The story is so riveting and the message so positive that the cheese and predictability don’t really matter.

Nate Harris may be contacted at n.harris2@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...