Greek letter orgs welcome new members

Each year greek organizations belonging to the Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternity Council recruit new members twice a year, accepting most members during the first few weeks of the fall semester.

Recruitment ends with bid day ceremonies for sororities and fraternities supervised by their respective governing councils.

NEW SORORITY WOMEN REVEAL CHOICES

Dozens of girls leapt for joy as they tore open the envelopes containing their sorority bids on Sept. 4.

This year’s Sorority Bid Day also coincided with the UM-FSU football game, which meant that the sororities could not partake in their usual Bid Day festivities. On top of that, heavy rains shifted the revealing from its originally scheduled site on the Rock to the UC Flamingo Ballroom.

“I think that it was still just as exciting and everyone was still just as anxious,” said Katie Danza, a sophomore and member of Delta Gamma. “The timing was unfortunate but I don’t think it affected the mood.”

Although the sororities were able to welcome their new members in the traditional fashion, some made arrangements to surprise them anyway. For instance, Sigma Delta Tau threw a surprise pool party for its new members last Tuesday.

Not all of the sororities decided to have the activities at a later date, but regardless each sorority brought their members back to their suites to get acquianted.

“It’s sad that we couldn’t do the normal Bid Day festivities, but we still got to spend time with the girls after the revealing, so I still thought it was very special,” Danza said.

FRATERNITIES OPEN DOORS TO NEW BROTHERS

All the fraternities gathered at the UC Rock on Sept. 8 to find out who would be chosen to be their future brothers.

Each potential new member received their bids from the fraternities and then, before they headed to the Bid Day ceremony, they had to decide which fraternity’s bid they wanted to accept.

For many, Bid Day comes as a reprieve.

“In the Bid Day itself, it’s actually a culmination of two weeks of dry rush,” said Rich Parker, a senior and a member of Phi Delta Theta. “It’s all of the work the fraternities put into looking for and offering bids to potential new members. It’s a relief day that rush is over and we are ready to begin the recruitment process.”

Bid Day also triggers anxiety and frustration in some and excitement in others.

“I’m very pumped,” said Donny Landis, a freshman and a potential new member for Sigma Alpha Mu. “I’m just really happy to be in Sammy.”

Eric McCoy, a sophomore and Sigma Chi member, remembers his feelings from that day a bit differently.

“I thought it was kind of weird, all the ‘rah-rah’ness of the fraternity stuff,” McCoy said.

Once all of the new potential members were announced to their fraternities, the members congregated into tightly packed circles and began chanting.

Now that rush and Bid Day are finished, fraternities are now looking to the future.

“I think that the new guys will bring a new voice and a new face to the house,” said McCoy.

Sasha Filimonov is a member of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority. She may be contacted at a.filimonov@umiami.edu

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...