Rummy’s Gotta Go

Odds are that you are among the 60+% who disapprove of the job George W. Bush is doing in Iraq, and if that’s the case, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has been talking shit about you to his friends at the American Legion.

You are cynical. You are morally and intellectually confused. Your type enabled Nazis during World War II, and you wish to appease Islamofascist extremists.

If we were to disregard, for a moment, Rumsfeld’s utter failures of the last six years, his comments describing a large majority of American citizens would be sufficient justification for calling for his ouster.

But we mustn’t simply disregard Rumsfeld’s record over the last 6 years. Whether by calculation or incompetence, the pre-War intelligence was anything but accurate. Who could forget Rumsfeld’s cryptic assurance to George Stephanopoulos regarding weapons of mass destruction in early 2003?

“We know where they are. They’re in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.”

Unfortunately for America’s credibility, the facts did not support Rumsfeld’s claims. No weapons in Tikrit. No weapons in Baghdad. Not east nor west. Neither south nor north. Not even somewhat.

Interestingly enough, Donald Rumsfeld actually voted for Saddam Hussein to have Weapons of Mass Destruction before he voted against it. The November 1984 picture of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein is worth far more than the 500 word limit on this column. Hussein had been using chemical weapons against Iran since early 1982.

Saddam Hussein’s lack of Weapons of Mass Destruction should’ve signaled the end of Rumsfeld’s tenure as Bush’s Secretary of Defense, but the blunders continued. Pooh-poohing not only the Powell Doctrine of Overwhelming Force but General Shinseki’s requests for several hundred thousand servicemen, Rumsfeld did not send enough troops.

His office put forth soundbytes that we would be greeted as liberators and that our soldiers would be showered with flowers and candy. That would be comical had the punch line not cost $1 billion per week and 2,642 American lives.

Perhaps Rumsfeld should exercise caution with the World War II allusions. We have now been in Iraq longer than we were in Europe during World War II.

Mr. Secretary, Iraq is no World War II, and George W. Bush is sure as hell no Franklin Roosevelt.

His speech is a startlingly explicit element of what appears to be a deliberate effort from the Bush Administration to emasculate dissenters and to equate support for the Administration’s policies with patriotism. Quite frankly, Rumsfeld’s behavior is un-American and unworthy of such a high position in our Government. He works for us, remember? Congressional Democrats should push for a vote of no confidence in this Secretary of Defense. We deserve better than Donald Rumsfeld.

Chris Fisher is a senior majoring in motion pictures and political science. He can be contacted at c.fisher2@umiami.edu. This article made him late for band.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...