P’s Bees lacking lyrical buzz

Russia is famous for many exports: gas and oil products, chemicals, Communism.not normally pop music. Singer and primary songwriter of Persephone’s Bees, Angelina Moysov, grew up in the Soviet Union listening to her mother’s folk and gypsy melodies.

Combine those tunes with a smattering of American, British and Russian underground and punk bands and enjoy the electronic-pop.

Any of the eleven tracks from “Notes from the Underworld” could mesh in the middle of a club playlist or in an indie rocker’s iPod. Reminiscent of Swedish band The Sounds, the band has synthesizers and guitar solos and Moysov shouts and croons. Persephone’s Bees’ unique and danceable sound will catch mainstream listeners off-guard, and will momentarily distract them from the unfortunately ordinary lyrics.

Although just released on August 29th, songs off of “Notes from the Underworld” have been garnering mild support since 2002. “Way to Your Heart” opens the album bluntly, hitting listeners with their infectious vibe right from the start. “City of Love,” full of distant synthesized wails and Rage Against the Machine-esque guitar slides, graces this week’s edition of iTunes and Facebook’s Back to School Electronica Sampler.

“Even Though I’m Only Fooling Around” gives a clever spin on a relationship, while the band’s first single, “Nice Day,” is a nonchalant ditty to play when nothing seems to matter. However, by the end of the album, songs begin to blend together and start sounding similar.

On their major label debut, Persephone’s Bees have crafted impressive pop tunes that flirt with rock and electronica.

“Songs for the Underworld” is for listeners of any of those genres or just the adventurous music lover.

Hilary Saunders can be contacted at hsaunder@umsis.miami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...