P’s Bees lacking lyrical buzz

Russia is famous for many exports: gas and oil products, chemicals, Communism.not normally pop music. Singer and primary songwriter of Persephone’s Bees, Angelina Moysov, grew up in the Soviet Union listening to her mother’s folk and gypsy melodies.

Combine those tunes with a smattering of American, British and Russian underground and punk bands and enjoy the electronic-pop.

Any of the eleven tracks from “Notes from the Underworld” could mesh in the middle of a club playlist or in an indie rocker’s iPod. Reminiscent of Swedish band The Sounds, the band has synthesizers and guitar solos and Moysov shouts and croons. Persephone’s Bees’ unique and danceable sound will catch mainstream listeners off-guard, and will momentarily distract them from the unfortunately ordinary lyrics.

Although just released on August 29th, songs off of “Notes from the Underworld” have been garnering mild support since 2002. “Way to Your Heart” opens the album bluntly, hitting listeners with their infectious vibe right from the start. “City of Love,” full of distant synthesized wails and Rage Against the Machine-esque guitar slides, graces this week’s edition of iTunes and Facebook’s Back to School Electronica Sampler.

“Even Though I’m Only Fooling Around” gives a clever spin on a relationship, while the band’s first single, “Nice Day,” is a nonchalant ditty to play when nothing seems to matter. However, by the end of the album, songs begin to blend together and start sounding similar.

On their major label debut, Persephone’s Bees have crafted impressive pop tunes that flirt with rock and electronica.

“Songs for the Underworld” is for listeners of any of those genres or just the adventurous music lover.

Hilary Saunders can be contacted at hsaunder@umsis.miami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...