P’s Bees lacking lyrical buzz

Russia is famous for many exports: gas and oil products, chemicals, Communism.not normally pop music. Singer and primary songwriter of Persephone’s Bees, Angelina Moysov, grew up in the Soviet Union listening to her mother’s folk and gypsy melodies.

Combine those tunes with a smattering of American, British and Russian underground and punk bands and enjoy the electronic-pop.

Any of the eleven tracks from “Notes from the Underworld” could mesh in the middle of a club playlist or in an indie rocker’s iPod. Reminiscent of Swedish band The Sounds, the band has synthesizers and guitar solos and Moysov shouts and croons. Persephone’s Bees’ unique and danceable sound will catch mainstream listeners off-guard, and will momentarily distract them from the unfortunately ordinary lyrics.

Although just released on August 29th, songs off of “Notes from the Underworld” have been garnering mild support since 2002. “Way to Your Heart” opens the album bluntly, hitting listeners with their infectious vibe right from the start. “City of Love,” full of distant synthesized wails and Rage Against the Machine-esque guitar slides, graces this week’s edition of iTunes and Facebook’s Back to School Electronica Sampler.

“Even Though I’m Only Fooling Around” gives a clever spin on a relationship, while the band’s first single, “Nice Day,” is a nonchalant ditty to play when nothing seems to matter. However, by the end of the album, songs begin to blend together and start sounding similar.

On their major label debut, Persephone’s Bees have crafted impressive pop tunes that flirt with rock and electronica.

“Songs for the Underworld” is for listeners of any of those genres or just the adventurous music lover.

Hilary Saunders can be contacted at hsaunder@umsis.miami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...