green with envy? your own insecurities may be at fault.

V,

I don’t consider myself to be a jealous or uptight person. Usually, I’m pretty relaxed about most things. However, I am starting to get really irritated with my boyfriend’s female friends. I know that he’s allowed to have and to be friends with as many people as he wants to be friends with, but for some reason I am just not comfortable with his friendships with other girls. Is this normal behavior? I feel like I’m beginning to turn into a paranoid person.

A Good Girlfriend

Dear Reader,

Rest assured, I think that almost every girl who has entered a relationship with a likeable guy has faced this issue. The question isn’t, is he allowed to have platonic friendships with other girls? Because, obviously we all know (though we may not feel that it is necessarily correct!) that he is.

Yes, just as you are allowed to have scores of platonic male friends, he is allowed to have a multitude of friends who happen to be of the female sex.

Now, I could understand how your near paranoia would be justified if your boyfriend were choosing to spend too much of his spare time with his other lady friends or if he were choosing to act in an overly “friendly” manner with these girls; I don’t think that sleepovers or hitting up happy hour on a consistent basis with his female friends, sans you, are acceptable activities for him in which to participate. If, however, he chooses to eat lunch with one of these friends on every other Tuesday, then, well, tough for you crazy lady.

I am of the opinion that much of your jealousy of these friendships stems from either your own personal feelings of insecurity or feelings of insecurity regarding some aspect of the relationship.

Perhaps, you feel as if some of his female friends are prettier, smarter, and or more talented that you. Or, maybe your insecurity is indicative of your own, deep-rooted trust issues.

Could it be that at the heart of it, you’re not 100% percent confident that your boyfriend wouldn’t cheat on you if he had the chance? If I were you, I would spend some time mulling over your relationship because if you don’t, your fears are going to eat you alive.

Best of Luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day.63% percent of all Sexually Transmitted Infections occur in those under the age of 25.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...