Cry For Help

In a recent issue of Newsweek, Fareed Zakaria made some interesting points about the challenges to the United States’ current role as world leader. Looking at the past trends of other countries that had at one time been world powers, like Great Britain, Zakaria theorized that if the US doesn’t change certain policies, she might be doomed to demonstrate the repetition of history. Basically the US needs to remember her strengths that have made her great in the past, and apply these strengths to current dilemmas.

After watching the news for a couple minutes, anyone can notice that there are quite a few problems which need attention. First, the government focuses heavily on the importance of oil, and continues an unending struggle to obtain oil. This struggle has assumed the form of a war, and has cost the lives of many. Unfortunately, no one in the government seems to understand the fact that oil is going to run out sooner than later. So why not turn attention from oil to other sources of energy? The thought that we are sending men and women off to kill innocent people in order to obtain something that will run out in a matter of decades horrifies me.

Recently, I’ve learned that many soldiers in Iraq have gone AWOL, or absent without leave. Although the military views this as incredibly dishonorable, and AWOL soldiers are arrested if caught, I was proud when I learned of this. I was proud that soldiers are standing up, and not agreeing to kill young children and women because someone told them to. I was proud that some people are remembering humanity.

Another problem lies within the current battle against immigration. After so many years of xenophobia and nativism, some have not learned that welcoming immigrants into our country does not hurt us. In fact, Fareed Zakaria also mentioned in his article that unlike China, Japan, Germany, Russia and other industrialized countries, the US will not suffer from a population or workforce crunch in the upcoming decades because of immigration. What’s wrong with allowing people to come to America and perform labor-intensive jobs that no one wants to do? They need to get done somehow.

Unfortunately, the thought that scares me the most does not stem from either of the aforementioned problems, or the fact that the US might lose her position as number one. The thought that scares me is that most people are unaware of these problems, or how they will affect our future. When I read and learn about the nationwide attention to politics and the fierce opposition to the horrors of war during the Vietnam era, I feel sad no such spirit exists in my generation. My generation needs to pick up the pieces of a shattered economy, mend the broken hearts of soldiers, and build a new path for the United States that leads us to demonstrate compassion for those less fortunate than ourselves.

Karyn Meshbane is a junior majoring in Neuroscience. She can be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...