‘Canes look to bounce back

The Miami Hurricanes look to bounce back after their loss on Monday as they lace up against the Florida A&M Rattlers this Saturday at the Orange Bowl beginning at 7 p.m.

Miami comes into the game with a 0-1 record, after tasting a bitter 10-13 loss to the Seminoles.

Their opponents, the FAMU Rattlers, also enter the game with a 0-1 record, as they faced a 14-34 loss to the Delaware State Hornets.

The Hurricanes have dropped to 17th on the AP Poll and 16th on the USA Today Poll.

The ‘Canes and Division I-AA Rattlers have met six times before, with the ‘Canes coming out on top five of those six times, but this is the first time the two teams play each other since Rubin Carter became the head coach of the Rattlers.

Carter is a former Miami defensive lineman, and he was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.

This will be an important game for Carter, up against his alma mater, but it is an equally important game for Coker and the Hurricanes.

“Every game is important,” Coker said. “This FAMU game will be very important.”

Coker also said that starting running back Tyrone Moss is ready to return and may play in the FAMU game.

Going into this game, the Hurricanes have a great deal of work to do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The offense, except for a well-played second quarter, looked unorganized and was unable to come up with a big play against FSU.

The Hurricane offense is going into the game against an average FAMU defense, which gave up 216 rushing yards and 80 passing yards against Delaware State, and was also unable to get to Delaware State’s quarterback.

The ‘Canes will have to watch out for running back Anthony Edwards, who ran for eighty-seven yards and two touchdowns in his week one performance.

Along with Edwards, the Hurricane defense will have to be aware of wide receiver Roosevelt Kiser. Kiser is not a deep threat, but he is the favorite receiver of quarter back Albert Chester, as Kiser accounted for nearly 50 percent of FAMU’s receiving offense in week one.

Still, FAMU will be faced with a tough challenge, as they will be going up against a very stingy Miami defense, which gave up only one net yard rushing and 175 net yards passing against Florida State.

Look for the Hurricanes to come out strong and on target, as they have not lost two straight games since 2004.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...