‘Canes look to bounce back

The Miami Hurricanes look to bounce back after their loss on Monday as they lace up against the Florida A&M Rattlers this Saturday at the Orange Bowl beginning at 7 p.m.

Miami comes into the game with a 0-1 record, after tasting a bitter 10-13 loss to the Seminoles.

Their opponents, the FAMU Rattlers, also enter the game with a 0-1 record, as they faced a 14-34 loss to the Delaware State Hornets.

The Hurricanes have dropped to 17th on the AP Poll and 16th on the USA Today Poll.

The ‘Canes and Division I-AA Rattlers have met six times before, with the ‘Canes coming out on top five of those six times, but this is the first time the two teams play each other since Rubin Carter became the head coach of the Rattlers.

Carter is a former Miami defensive lineman, and he was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.

This will be an important game for Carter, up against his alma mater, but it is an equally important game for Coker and the Hurricanes.

“Every game is important,” Coker said. “This FAMU game will be very important.”

Coker also said that starting running back Tyrone Moss is ready to return and may play in the FAMU game.

Going into this game, the Hurricanes have a great deal of work to do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The offense, except for a well-played second quarter, looked unorganized and was unable to come up with a big play against FSU.

The Hurricane offense is going into the game against an average FAMU defense, which gave up 216 rushing yards and 80 passing yards against Delaware State, and was also unable to get to Delaware State’s quarterback.

The ‘Canes will have to watch out for running back Anthony Edwards, who ran for eighty-seven yards and two touchdowns in his week one performance.

Along with Edwards, the Hurricane defense will have to be aware of wide receiver Roosevelt Kiser. Kiser is not a deep threat, but he is the favorite receiver of quarter back Albert Chester, as Kiser accounted for nearly 50 percent of FAMU’s receiving offense in week one.

Still, FAMU will be faced with a tough challenge, as they will be going up against a very stingy Miami defense, which gave up only one net yard rushing and 175 net yards passing against Florida State.

Look for the Hurricanes to come out strong and on target, as they have not lost two straight games since 2004.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...