‘Canes look to bounce back

The Miami Hurricanes look to bounce back after their loss on Monday as they lace up against the Florida A&M Rattlers this Saturday at the Orange Bowl beginning at 7 p.m.

Miami comes into the game with a 0-1 record, after tasting a bitter 10-13 loss to the Seminoles.

Their opponents, the FAMU Rattlers, also enter the game with a 0-1 record, as they faced a 14-34 loss to the Delaware State Hornets.

The Hurricanes have dropped to 17th on the AP Poll and 16th on the USA Today Poll.

The ‘Canes and Division I-AA Rattlers have met six times before, with the ‘Canes coming out on top five of those six times, but this is the first time the two teams play each other since Rubin Carter became the head coach of the Rattlers.

Carter is a former Miami defensive lineman, and he was inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1992.

This will be an important game for Carter, up against his alma mater, but it is an equally important game for Coker and the Hurricanes.

“Every game is important,” Coker said. “This FAMU game will be very important.”

Coker also said that starting running back Tyrone Moss is ready to return and may play in the FAMU game.

Going into this game, the Hurricanes have a great deal of work to do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The offense, except for a well-played second quarter, looked unorganized and was unable to come up with a big play against FSU.

The Hurricane offense is going into the game against an average FAMU defense, which gave up 216 rushing yards and 80 passing yards against Delaware State, and was also unable to get to Delaware State’s quarterback.

The ‘Canes will have to watch out for running back Anthony Edwards, who ran for eighty-seven yards and two touchdowns in his week one performance.

Along with Edwards, the Hurricane defense will have to be aware of wide receiver Roosevelt Kiser. Kiser is not a deep threat, but he is the favorite receiver of quarter back Albert Chester, as Kiser accounted for nearly 50 percent of FAMU’s receiving offense in week one.

Still, FAMU will be faced with a tough challenge, as they will be going up against a very stingy Miami defense, which gave up only one net yard rushing and 175 net yards passing against Florida State.

Look for the Hurricanes to come out strong and on target, as they have not lost two straight games since 2004.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...