No playing games…

The Roots sound more alive on their albums than most other hip-hop groups, which is probably what makes them such a sensational listen. Their ability to design beats that couple so well with singer Black Thought’s lyrics are what make them such a great sell to their loyal fan base. And just like Phrenology and The Tipping Point, Game Theory continues The Roots evolution into one of the best mainstream hip-hop groups around.

The Roots seem to be all about the “game” of life. How we play it and how some of us lose while others win. So it’s fitting that the album and the first great track off it are both titled “Game Theory.” Other tracks, like the first single “Don’t Feel Right” and “Atonement” blast off on a slew of critiques and tough questions that are rarely answered but perfect subject matter for the serious songwriter. But its how these tracks work off each other that makes them so distinguishable on the album.

The strongest and most defined tracks on the album come later. Tracks like “Baby,” the incredibly catchy “Long Time,” “Livin’ in a New World,” “Clock with No Arms,” and the perfect closer “Can’t Stop” yet again give equal weight to the album, instead of overshadowing one another.

There are a few things that separate Game Theory from previous Root’s efforts. One being the new label. And now that I’ve said that, get it out of your mind because it has no barring on the quality of Game Theory. The second is the subject matter, which is surprisingly dark and heavy. There’s something very freeing and admirable about a group that isn’t willing to put on a smiley face and fake a feeling. Even the first single, “Don’t Feel Right” is rather harsh and pushy for the MTV crowd. But that’s what The Roots represent, a group that isn’t willing to take the common short cuts to fame. Their glory is their music.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon5@umiami.edu

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...