No playing games…

The Roots sound more alive on their albums than most other hip-hop groups, which is probably what makes them such a sensational listen. Their ability to design beats that couple so well with singer Black Thought’s lyrics are what make them such a great sell to their loyal fan base. And just like Phrenology and The Tipping Point, Game Theory continues The Roots evolution into one of the best mainstream hip-hop groups around.

The Roots seem to be all about the “game” of life. How we play it and how some of us lose while others win. So it’s fitting that the album and the first great track off it are both titled “Game Theory.” Other tracks, like the first single “Don’t Feel Right” and “Atonement” blast off on a slew of critiques and tough questions that are rarely answered but perfect subject matter for the serious songwriter. But its how these tracks work off each other that makes them so distinguishable on the album.

The strongest and most defined tracks on the album come later. Tracks like “Baby,” the incredibly catchy “Long Time,” “Livin’ in a New World,” “Clock with No Arms,” and the perfect closer “Can’t Stop” yet again give equal weight to the album, instead of overshadowing one another.

There are a few things that separate Game Theory from previous Root’s efforts. One being the new label. And now that I’ve said that, get it out of your mind because it has no barring on the quality of Game Theory. The second is the subject matter, which is surprisingly dark and heavy. There’s something very freeing and admirable about a group that isn’t willing to put on a smiley face and fake a feeling. Even the first single, “Don’t Feel Right” is rather harsh and pushy for the MTV crowd. But that’s what The Roots represent, a group that isn’t willing to take the common short cuts to fame. Their glory is their music.

Danny Gordon may be contacted at d.gordon5@umiami.edu

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...