‘Canes score post-season success

The Hurricanes baseball team continued working this summer as they made their 34th consecutive appearance in postseason play, a new NCAA record.

Miami secured a spot in the Lincoln Regional and defeated lesser seeds San Francisco 11-2, as well as Manhattan twice 8-2, 10-4 to advance to the Super Regionals in a best of three match-up with Ole Miss.

Miami led Ole Miss 9-3 heading into the bottom of the fifth. Hurricane pitchers Scott Maine, Jon McLean, and Andrew Lane combined to give up eight runs over the next two innings, allowing the Rebels to clench the game 11-9.

“Our coaches told us to stay focused,” first baseman Yonder Alonso said. “When pressure comes in, we have a different attitude.”

With the loss, Miami faced elimination in the Super Regionals.

Danny Gil had been a key setup man for most of the year, but was forced into starting duty when Carlos Gutierrez went down with injury. He pitched six shutout innings in route to a 7-0 victory against Ole Miss.

Back on their feet, Miami was one win away from the College World Series.

“In order to go to the College World Series, you need someone to step up and do something unexpected,” Head Coach Jim Morris said.

The pitching performances were less solid in the decisive third game of the Super Regionals against Ole Miss, but third baseman Danny Valencia picked up the slack with seven RBI’s and two homeruns. Valencia’s grand slam in the bottom of the seventh inning put Miami in front 13-8.

The ‘Canes went on to win 14-9.

“I remember how we lost the first game,” Morris said. “[Our] team had competitiveness and team work needed to win in a tough atmosphere. I don’t think I have ever seen the same electricity as I saw with that team then.”

Miami won one game in Omaha against Oregon State and lost two straight games to be eliminated. Ironically, Oregon State went on to win the CWS against North Carolina, claiming two of three games in the series.

The Hurricanes’ appearance in the College World Series, although brief, was promising after the tough season for the young team.

Florida swept Miami early in the season at home. During a six game home stand, the Hurricanes lost to Clemson and all but one game in the series against North Carolina. The ‘Canes lost another series at home to Virginia and lost five of their last seven games before entering the NCAA tournament.

The Hurricanes kept their focus and several younger players began to fill large roles on the team.

Dennis Raben reached base safely in eight of the nine NCAA tournament games. Jemile Weeks batted .459 in the tournament and drove in 12 runs and Alonso added six RBIs.

“Some of the freshman turned it up and just got it,” Morris said.

Carlos Gutierrez became an underlying story in the post-season madness. He injured his elbow toward the end of the season and was initially thought to need Tommy John surgery. However, the doctors later told the coaching staff that only rehab would be needed to repair the injury.

After being assured by doctors that Gutierrez was ready to play again, the coaching staff turned to their former ace one more time. This start resulted in two negative outcomes. One, Gutierrez allowed four runs in two innings during Miami’s final game of the season against Oregon State, a game the ‘Canes lost 8-1.

The worse news was Gutierrez had furthered the injury and is now forced to miss the entire 2007 season with the Tommy John surgery he was thought to have needed initially.

“He had thrown two good bullpen sessions prior to his start,” Morris said. “Doctors told us no matter what, he couldn’t hurt it anymore then he had.”

Denis Brown may be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...