UMNEWS – Shalala dismisses Harvard presidency rumors

President Donna E. Shalala told The Hurricane Wednesday that she does not think she is on the short list for candidates to assume the position of Harvard University president.

“I have no interest, and I don’t think they would contact me,” she said. “I love my job.”

Rumors regarding Shalala’s possible candidacy had emerged since a Feb. 26 Boston Globe article citing her among other female university leaders as a possible replacement for Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers, who resigned in February and will leave his post on June 30.

Summers and Shalala were both on President Bill Clinton’s cabinet, serving as secretary of the treasury and secretary of health and human services, respectively.

Shalala, who said she knows members of Harvard’s search committee, said she laughed when she heard the candidacy rumors.

“I’m sort of used to being on everybody’s list,” she said, “but I’m hard to move.”

On Tuesday, the Cambridge (Mass.) City Council passed a resolution urging Harvard’s search committee to choose a president who is in favor of living wages, among other things. The resolution, which specifically mentioned Shalala, was drafted by a city councillor who visited the striking UNICCO workers at UM on Monday. UNICCO also provides janitorial services for Harvard and other Cambridge businesses.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...