UMNEWS – Shalala dismisses Harvard presidency rumors

President Donna E. Shalala told The Hurricane Wednesday that she does not think she is on the short list for candidates to assume the position of Harvard University president.

“I have no interest, and I don’t think they would contact me,” she said. “I love my job.”

Rumors regarding Shalala’s possible candidacy had emerged since a Feb. 26 Boston Globe article citing her among other female university leaders as a possible replacement for Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers, who resigned in February and will leave his post on June 30.

Summers and Shalala were both on President Bill Clinton’s cabinet, serving as secretary of the treasury and secretary of health and human services, respectively.

Shalala, who said she knows members of Harvard’s search committee, said she laughed when she heard the candidacy rumors.

“I’m sort of used to being on everybody’s list,” she said, “but I’m hard to move.”

On Tuesday, the Cambridge (Mass.) City Council passed a resolution urging Harvard’s search committee to choose a president who is in favor of living wages, among other things. The resolution, which specifically mentioned Shalala, was drafted by a city councillor who visited the striking UNICCO workers at UM on Monday. UNICCO also provides janitorial services for Harvard and other Cambridge businesses.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...