UMNEWS – Community leader gives $1 million to support UM ethics program

President Donna E. Shalala announced on Wednesday a $1 million gift from community leader Adrienne Arsht, chairman of the Board of Directors of TotalBank, to benefit the University of Miami’s Ethics Programs. Ms. Arsht’s gift, one of the largest supporting ethics programs in the state of Florida, will fund university-wide, interdisciplinary initiatives that engage students, faculty and the community into a new level of collaborative thinking and research.

“Ethics are at the core of everything we do. By incorporating ethics into most fields of study, the University of Miami is providing a vision for leadership in this community,” Arsht said in a press release. “My hope for this endeavor is that students from across all of UM’s campuses will have a core understanding of ethics as it relates to all aspects of their lives.”

“Adrienne’s leadership in our community continues with her gift,” Shalala said in the release.

The gift creates a platform for expanded university-wide, interdisciplinary programs. It will enhance a program that has been in existence at UM for 15 years under the leadership of Anita Cava of the School of Business and Ken Goodman of the Miller School of Medicine and Department of Philosophy, College of Arts and Sciences.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...