Tool’s best album in days

What more could a fan ask of Tool after they have delivered an album such as 10,000 Days? The answer doesn’t exist.

10,000 Days opens stronger than Tool’s previous albums. The abrasive first track, “Vicarious,” is one of the best songs on the album and one of Tool’s best to date. While vocalist Maynard James Keenan paints a face of disgust and wonder on our society for its consistent indulgence of violent media-singing “I need to watch things die (from a distance)”-drummer Danny Carey inches his way up and down your spine, preying on you like a cancer.

As the album slows down, there is the emotional forest fire that is this album’s strongest song, “10,000 Days (Wings Part 2),” which is a rough estimation of the days Maynard’s mother, Judith Marie Keenan, struggled with paralysis before she passed away.

It is a daunting and distressing task listening to Maynard spew his lyrics, coated in the blood of a man who’s only able to bite his tongue as he begs the God he’s denied and resented all his life to allow his mother passage into the gates, singing “I only pray heaven knows/When to lift you out/10,000 days in the fire is long enough/You’re going home.” Other songs like “The Pot,” “Rosetta Stoned,” and “Right in Two” continue to delicately sprinkle the already blessed album with ripe insights and curious instrumental passages that act like a progression to nowhere.

10,000 Days is the strongest album 2006 will probably see. An album of this strength rarely surfaces long enough.

Before that happens, it’s important to note the album for what it is: a declaration of love and admiration from a son to his mother.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...