Tekotte breaks through with two huge home runs

Miami leftfielder Blake Tekotte was demoted to ninth in the batting order in March because of his struggles at the plate. Tekotte helped remedy his offensive slump by hitting two solo homers in a 7-5 series-clinching win against rival Florida State April 16.

“The rivalry doesn’t get any bigger,” Tekotte said. “To go into an atmosphere like that; it was just awesome.”

On the season, Tekotte is batting .278 with four homers and 20 RBI. Tekotte is a threat to steal; he has been successful on 9 of 13 attempts.

Tekotte was overshadowed coming to Miami by fellow freshmen Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso. Weeks was an eighth-round draft pick by the Milwaukee Brewers and his brother, Rickie, is a current major leaguer.

Alonso was tabbed as a power hitter and came in as a 15th round selection by the Minnesota Twins. Tekotte was simply the small town kid from Missouri.

“I didn’t have all the pressure that Jemile or Yonder had,” Tekotte said. “Being from Missouri, not that many people knew that much about me.”

Tekotte is a big fish in a small pond back home. Not only did Tekotte play baseball, but he was also the star quarterback for his high school. In Tekotte’s senior year, he led both his baseball and football teams to state titles.

A trip to the Area Code Games in California brought Tekotte to Miami. In Tekotte’s first game, against Weeks’ team, he laced a single and stole second and third. Tekotte’s hustle caught the eye of Assistant Coach Gino DiMare.

“Gino likes to steal bases,” Tekotte said. “He likes the small fast guys.”

Baseball is in Tekotte’s blood. His grandfather tried out for the St. Louis Cardinals, but chose to come home and give up baseball for the birth of his son, Blake. Tekotte’s father played baseball and football at Illinois State University.

Tekotte also has a cousin that played for the Houston Astros in 2000.

The lefty came to Miami last fall and went through the grueling workouts that started at 5:30 a.m. and included a variety of drills to increase endurance.

“In the fall we ran our butts off,” Tekotte said. “I think our hard work will show now.”

Ultimately, Tekotte said he is unfazed by the big stage of Miami or the responsibilities of being a freshman starter.

“Different state, different field, different uniform, but it’s the same game,” Tekotte said.

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...