LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

EMBARRASSED BY STUDENTS

As a Miami Alum observing the hunger strike from New York City, I cannot help but be embarrassed by the actions of our ignorant student body. My colleagues and I agree that Miami’s reputation as a haven for rich, foolish idealistic children is severly exposed in this action.

Ignoring pragmatics and logical reasoning, this hunger strike is simply an act of rash reaction which shows total misunderstanding of so many eager, yet blinded youth. Miami’s reputation has been hurt with this widespread media attention.

Kellen Giuda

RESOLUTION IN THE CLEAR

Because many Student Government senators and undergraduate students brought it to my attention that there may be discrepancies with the allegations made towards STAND, SEIU, and other affiliated organizations in Action #07009, “A resolution disapproving of recent campus disruptions and demanding that such activities cease immediately,” I decided to investigate to verify if these statements were true. After my investigation, I have found that every statement made is backed up by a police report, eyewitness reports made by at least two members of the University community, or both. This applies to the resolution before it was amended in Senate, as well as after from removal of certain statements. I hope that this clarifies the verity of the accusations made in the passed resolution.

John Constantinide

Speaker of the Senate

SUPPORT FOR HUNGER STRIKE

I am a graduate of UM, class of ’03, and a former opinion writer for the paper. I just wanted to express my support for those striking for better working conditions.

Even though we might not be in Miami anymore, my family, my friends and I are there in spirit and will do anything to help this cause. You all are not alone. Don’t ever give up.

Travis Atria

Class of ’03

SCHOOL-WIDE TENSION IS DISAPPOINTING

Over the last four years, I have witnessed a variety of events here on campus ranging from a visit by Rob Schneider, devastation after a hurricane, and the 2004 presidential debate. We, as fellow Hurricanes, have been blessed to attend this university and experience these occurrences in addition to utilizing all of the resources available to further our academic and personal development. Students have exercised this right in the past by holding mock-marriages, planning an event where students “died” on the rock, and expressing themselves in a number of different ways. Some of these events I have supported, others I have opposed, and still others I have enjoyed strictly from an entertainment or intellectual approach. I have met people of every race, religion, and creed and held conversations with them that I will remember for a lifetime. We have felt the Orange Bowl shake after watching our football team rise to victory, we have embraced after a last minute three-point buzzer beater, but now we are divided and left to bicker and quarrel.

It is disappointing to think that the last few weeks of our undergraduate education are fraught with such tension. This is a time when we should be celebrating our entrance into a new phase of life. Instead, the situation with the strike has escalated beyond acceptable parameters and negatively impacted administrators, students, and the classroom environment that is the primary focus of our university. Prospective students are enrolling elsewhere, not because the education here is of poor quality, but because the staff who are contracted to work here have lost focus and disrupted the mission of the university, namely education.

There have been so many times in the past that I have been proud to call myself a Hurricane. Now, my final thoughts while leaving this university are not that it’s great to be a Hurricane, but that I am embarrassed of the few individuals who are tarnishing the reputation of this institution. I pray that in the future we all learn a valuable lesson from this experience. I pray that we learn to listen to one another, to compromise, and to throw in the cards when necessary. President Shalala is working to promote the best interests of the students and I thank her for all her hard work over the past four years. Congratulations upcoming graduates. Better and brighter days await.

Justin Shepherd

Senior

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...