Improved, improving: our paper as I leave it

I think my most vivid memory of my year-and-a-half tenure as editor-in-chief of The Hurricane was driving to the newsroom after Hurricane Katrina, stressing out about what our first issue of the semester would be like after a lockdown the first week of classes, while dodging debris strewn on the streets of Coral Gables. That deadline was the epitome of what working at a newspaper should be like-overcoming obstacles (both literally, in the case of branches blocking the road, and not so literally, like dealing with uncooperative sources), working behind-the-scenes on a muggy Sunday, and feeling enough of a sense of urgency about the news to come to campus when it was the last thing you felt like doing.

During my editorship, we made it our goal to improve the quality of our content. We focused less on reactive news (like the fact that there was free food in the UC Patio and you missed it) and more on the inner workings of the university. We still have room for improvement-we’ve certainly elicited our fair share of angry letters to the editor-but we’ve also taken steps forward, scooping the university on the names of the provost candidates and new dean of students, featuring professors’ research, and bringing to light the problem of faculty finding housing in Miami (a story for which our soon-to-be news editor is up for a national award).

We opened students’ eyes to some of the privacy issues that come with websites like facebook.com-and got national attention for doing so. We followed up on campus crime stories and tried to provide balanced coverage of as complex an issue as the UNICCO workers’ strike. We reviewed bands like My Chemical Romance before they were very famous, and we covered sports stories beyond recaps, doing athlete Q&As, featuring intramural teams and students studying to be athletic trainers.

Members of the community did not always agree with our news coverage or editorials, but we actively sought to incorporate a variety of perspectives, including faculty commentary, to the opinion section. Seeing from the good number of letters and op-eds we’ve received lately, we seem to have done a good job of opening up the forum to the community.

Some of my fondest memories from college will be from the newspaper: being in the spin room after the presidential debate, singing off-key to Virgin radio playing on iTunes in the office, feeling frazzled and then satisfied during an adrenaline-rushed deadline in the dimly-lit UC until 2 a.m. surrounded by our talented, opinionated staff, and, of course, being kept in the loop of what’s happening on campus. Next year I will be wondering, how will University Village work out? What will happen to the workers’ strike over the summer? What will the UC be like without the Rat? Whatever it is, I’m excited to find out-and I am confident The Hurricane will be there to cover it.

Patricia Mazzei is a junior majoring in economics and political science. She can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu. She will remain on staff next year as the newsroom mascot.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...