Update: Freeman to stay

Miami quarterback Kirby Freeman will remain a Hurricane.

Announcing his commitment to the program on Friday morning, Freeman decided that it was best for him and his family to remain in the orange and green.

Freeman, who will enter his red shirt sophomore season, hinted a month ago that he may decide to transfer. But changes to the offense and talks with the coaching staff contributed to his decision to stay.

“I feel like I can be a real asset to the program,” Freeman said. “In the past I felt like I was part of a show I didn’t necessarily belong in. Now I feel like I can contribute.”

Freeman’s return is good news because entering next season, starting quarterback Kyle Wright and Freeman are the only two scholarship quarterbacks besides incoming freshman Daniel Stegal.

Head Coach Larry Coker said Freeman may even see his own package of plays on offense. Freeman has strong running ability, and plays of that nature could be designed next season for the Texas native.

Freeman was shaky in the annual Spring Game, completing just six of 17 passes for 26 yards and two interceptions. He also rushed four times for 25 yards.

Douglas C Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...