UMNEWS – April enlightens community to autism research, family support

The University of Miami’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities honors community supporters of research and education as part of Autism Awareness Month.

Parents are the first to notice the warning signs of developmental delays. Their baby seems “different,” has trouble interacting socially with others and focuses heavily on repetitive behaviors like spinning objects. Autism is a lifelong neurological disorder that affects one out of 166 children in the United States.

The University of Miami/ Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM/NSU CARD) strives to identify the underlying causes of the disorder and to increase its public awareness.

UM/NSU CARD provides free family support, outreach, and educational support services to children and adults of all levels of intellectual functioning who have autism and autistic-like disabilities. Services for families throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...