UMNEWS – April enlightens community to autism research, family support

The University of Miami’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities honors community supporters of research and education as part of Autism Awareness Month.

Parents are the first to notice the warning signs of developmental delays. Their baby seems “different,” has trouble interacting socially with others and focuses heavily on repetitive behaviors like spinning objects. Autism is a lifelong neurological disorder that affects one out of 166 children in the United States.

The University of Miami/ Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM/NSU CARD) strives to identify the underlying causes of the disorder and to increase its public awareness.

UM/NSU CARD provides free family support, outreach, and educational support services to children and adults of all levels of intellectual functioning who have autism and autistic-like disabilities. Services for families throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...