UMNEWS – April enlightens community to autism research, family support

The University of Miami’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities honors community supporters of research and education as part of Autism Awareness Month.

Parents are the first to notice the warning signs of developmental delays. Their baby seems “different,” has trouble interacting socially with others and focuses heavily on repetitive behaviors like spinning objects. Autism is a lifelong neurological disorder that affects one out of 166 children in the United States.

The University of Miami/ Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM/NSU CARD) strives to identify the underlying causes of the disorder and to increase its public awareness.

UM/NSU CARD provides free family support, outreach, and educational support services to children and adults of all levels of intellectual functioning who have autism and autistic-like disabilities. Services for families throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...