Three tennis seniors reflect on career

While the men’s tennis team fell to Virginia in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament semifinals, the Hurricanes still have a chance to make an NCAA Tournament run.

The entire team has been successful, but seniors Eric Hechtman, John Hoyes and Tim Krebs will graduate with extra satisfaction.

For these three athletes, tennis at Miami was not easy. Hoyes said his first two seasons were forgettable and hard on his psyche.

All three agree that tennis was anything but fun during early on, but this quickly turned around when Head Coach Mario Rincon was hired.

For Hoyes, his first meeting with Rincon is something he will always remember.

“I could feel a connection right away,” Hoyes said. “I knew Coach Rincon would be taking us places.”

Two years later, Rincon has the team in the hunt for a national championship, as Hechtman, Hoyes and Krebs have soared to new heights.

The three have played marvelously this year, turning in a number of dominating performances during the regular season. Hechtman finished 22-8 in singles play, while Hoyes and Krebs were 21-7 and 23-7, respectively.

They attribute their elevated performances to mental growth. The three hope to finish a memorable season on a winning note, by serving up an ace at nationals.

“That would be the ultimate vindication, as, two years ago, under Coach [Bryan] Getz, none of the players could have imagined being in this position,” Hechtman said.

Each player plans on pursuing a professional tennis career for at least a year, but before that hope to leave behind a legacy at UM.

Hechtman said he would like to be known as “a fighter on and off the court.” Hoyes wants to be remembered as “someone who would take one for the team.” Krebs said he would like acknowledgment as “one of the players who helped to turn things around.”

It has been a bumpy ride for Hechtman, Hoyes and Krebs, but it would be validated by a national championship.

“When we walk into stadiums, people just stare at us,” Krebs said. “They get jealous that we are from UM. When I walk into a stadium, I am proud to have the U across my chest.”

Pravin Patel can be contacted at p.patel@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...