Three tennis seniors reflect on career

While the men’s tennis team fell to Virginia in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament semifinals, the Hurricanes still have a chance to make an NCAA Tournament run.

The entire team has been successful, but seniors Eric Hechtman, John Hoyes and Tim Krebs will graduate with extra satisfaction.

For these three athletes, tennis at Miami was not easy. Hoyes said his first two seasons were forgettable and hard on his psyche.

All three agree that tennis was anything but fun during early on, but this quickly turned around when Head Coach Mario Rincon was hired.

For Hoyes, his first meeting with Rincon is something he will always remember.

“I could feel a connection right away,” Hoyes said. “I knew Coach Rincon would be taking us places.”

Two years later, Rincon has the team in the hunt for a national championship, as Hechtman, Hoyes and Krebs have soared to new heights.

The three have played marvelously this year, turning in a number of dominating performances during the regular season. Hechtman finished 22-8 in singles play, while Hoyes and Krebs were 21-7 and 23-7, respectively.

They attribute their elevated performances to mental growth. The three hope to finish a memorable season on a winning note, by serving up an ace at nationals.

“That would be the ultimate vindication, as, two years ago, under Coach [Bryan] Getz, none of the players could have imagined being in this position,” Hechtman said.

Each player plans on pursuing a professional tennis career for at least a year, but before that hope to leave behind a legacy at UM.

Hechtman said he would like to be known as “a fighter on and off the court.” Hoyes wants to be remembered as “someone who would take one for the team.” Krebs said he would like acknowledgment as “one of the players who helped to turn things around.”

It has been a bumpy ride for Hechtman, Hoyes and Krebs, but it would be validated by a national championship.

“When we walk into stadiums, people just stare at us,” Krebs said. “They get jealous that we are from UM. When I walk into a stadium, I am proud to have the U across my chest.”

Pravin Patel can be contacted at p.patel@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...