Orchestra delivers its Latin heat

With Latin, jazz and salsa on the program for the evening, an enthusiastic crowd packed Maurice Gusman Hall Thursday night to enjoy a variety of big band hits by the Salsa Orchestra.

Since 1993, the 12-piece orchestra, with more than 20 musicians, nine vocalists and 60 band charts has brought its flavor of Latin music to South Florida. The University of Miami Salsa Orchestra is led by director, composer and arranger Alberto de la Reguera.

Reguera has won many awards, including Musical Director of the Year in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The performance included guest artists Alexander Pope Norris, Dante Luciani and Ruben Trillo. These professional singers and musicians have traveled the world performing with various artists from Frank Sinatra to Natalie Cole.

Nine singers, four female and five male, lined the front of the stage with the orchestra behind them. The girls wore bright, festive dresses that swayed with their entertaining dance moves, and the guys were in white guayabera shirts (traditional Cuban attire). Their salsa steps complemented their voices. Their feet never stopped moving throughout the entire performance.

Cristina Flores, a sophomore in the School of Music, and first time singer with the band, displayed smile and enthusiasm throughout her performance.

From the sultry Spanish solos to trombone solos, saxophone and drums, band members had a chance to show off their skills to an applauding audience.

The festive d

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...