Elsewhere – Researchers discover obesity gene

By Lisa Davis

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON-Led by Boston University professors over an 18-month period, a group of scientists has found a link between a new genetic variant and obesity affecting 10 percent of the American population.

The study was conducted by 23 international scientists. There were about 100,000 participants from six different populations through the Framingham Heart Study.

“This is the first time that anyone has found a variation that is very common in many people,” Genetics and Genomics Department Chair Michael Christman said. “It’s one of the first studies that looked at the whole genome.”

Harvard School of Public Health biostatistics professor Nan Laird said the study was unique.

“We designed statistical methods, and it was our first opportunity to try it on real data,” she said. “I think of it as finding a piece of the puzzle.”

Laird said she believes the role of genetics versus environmental factors in obesity is “somewhat controversial.”

“There’s a tendency in society to discriminate against people who are obese,” Christman said. “What you eat and exercise is still part of the equation.”

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...