Elsewhere – Researchers discover obesity gene

By Lisa Davis

The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON-Led by Boston University professors over an 18-month period, a group of scientists has found a link between a new genetic variant and obesity affecting 10 percent of the American population.

The study was conducted by 23 international scientists. There were about 100,000 participants from six different populations through the Framingham Heart Study.

“This is the first time that anyone has found a variation that is very common in many people,” Genetics and Genomics Department Chair Michael Christman said. “It’s one of the first studies that looked at the whole genome.”

Harvard School of Public Health biostatistics professor Nan Laird said the study was unique.

“We designed statistical methods, and it was our first opportunity to try it on real data,” she said. “I think of it as finding a piece of the puzzle.”

Laird said she believes the role of genetics versus environmental factors in obesity is “somewhat controversial.”

“There’s a tendency in society to discriminate against people who are obese,” Christman said. “What you eat and exercise is still part of the equation.”

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...