Recap: UM vs. FSU

TALLAHASSEE-Clinging to a 7-5 lead with two runners on in the ninth inning, a flu-ridden Chris Perez unleashed a radar gun-busting fastball to strike out Florida State’s Dennis Guinn and preserve a crucial series win for Miami.

Perez, who was too sick to leave the hotel Saturday, nailed down victories for Carlos Gutierrez and Scott Maine on Friday and Sunday to lead the Hurricanes past the No. 2 Seminoles. Gutierrez allowed two runs on five hits in six innings to improve to 8-3, while Maine overcame a rocky first inning to strike out a career-high eight and pick up his sixth victory. Both starters dealt with hostile crowds at Dick Howser Stadium.

As a staff, the Hurricanes struck out 13 Seminoles on Sunday.

Freshman left fielder Blake Tekotte emerged from a 7-for-51 slump with a pair of home runs, highlighting a 3-for-4 afternoon. Tekotte’s three hits tied a career high. Junior designated hitter Richard O’Brien blasted a home run and knocked in two runs to help reduce FSU starter Barret Browning to his shortest outing (three innings) of the year.

Friday’s win featured another dramatic moment for Miami. Trailing 2-1 in the fifth inning against Florida State ace Bryan Henry, Danny Valencia jacked a 3-2 fastball off the left field scoreboard with the bases loaded for his first career grand slam and a 5-2 Hurricane advantage. Valencia’s grand slam was the first the Seminoles have allowed this season.

FSU made it interesting in the last few innings, however. Buster Posey doubled off the high wall in right field to score All-America Shane Robinson in the seventh to make it a 5-3 game. Perez entered for the eighth and ninth innings and loaded the bases in each frame. The junior closer induced a Robinson fly out in the eighth and escaped from the ninth with a force out at second to clinch the series opener.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...