Recap: UM vs. FSU

TALLAHASSEE-Clinging to a 7-5 lead with two runners on in the ninth inning, a flu-ridden Chris Perez unleashed a radar gun-busting fastball to strike out Florida State’s Dennis Guinn and preserve a crucial series win for Miami.

Perez, who was too sick to leave the hotel Saturday, nailed down victories for Carlos Gutierrez and Scott Maine on Friday and Sunday to lead the Hurricanes past the No. 2 Seminoles. Gutierrez allowed two runs on five hits in six innings to improve to 8-3, while Maine overcame a rocky first inning to strike out a career-high eight and pick up his sixth victory. Both starters dealt with hostile crowds at Dick Howser Stadium.

As a staff, the Hurricanes struck out 13 Seminoles on Sunday.

Freshman left fielder Blake Tekotte emerged from a 7-for-51 slump with a pair of home runs, highlighting a 3-for-4 afternoon. Tekotte’s three hits tied a career high. Junior designated hitter Richard O’Brien blasted a home run and knocked in two runs to help reduce FSU starter Barret Browning to his shortest outing (three innings) of the year.

Friday’s win featured another dramatic moment for Miami. Trailing 2-1 in the fifth inning against Florida State ace Bryan Henry, Danny Valencia jacked a 3-2 fastball off the left field scoreboard with the bases loaded for his first career grand slam and a 5-2 Hurricane advantage. Valencia’s grand slam was the first the Seminoles have allowed this season.

FSU made it interesting in the last few innings, however. Buster Posey doubled off the high wall in right field to score All-America Shane Robinson in the seventh to make it a 5-3 game. Perez entered for the eighth and ninth innings and loaded the bases in each frame. The junior closer induced a Robinson fly out in the eighth and escaped from the ninth with a force out at second to clinch the series opener.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...