New fraternity invited to UM campus

The fraternity expansion committee voted last Thursday on which organization would be added to the university’s Greek life. After deliberation, they extended an invitation to Beta Theta Pi to join 11 other fraternities on campus in the fall of 2006.

“We are very grateful and thankful [for]the committee’s final decision,” said J.B. Scherpelz, Beta Theta Pi director of expansion and recruitment. “We are a strong organization and we look forward to building a strong fraternity and adding to the entire community.”

Beta, the fraternity’s nickname, received the majority of the committee vote.

According to the committee, the determining factors of the decision were the fraternity’s strong national reputation, commitment to leadership programs and opportunities and the number of alumni in the area who will volunteer as advisors.

“What appealed most was that they will fit really well on our campus,” Jeff Jenkins, Interfraternity Council (IFC) president, said.

Beta will start off as a colony, the term used for a new fraternity chapter. The colony will not receive its full charter until it achieves the goals set by the fraternal administrative organization. These goals can range from attaining a certain grade point average to completing a community service requirement.

More than 30 alumni, advisors and national representatives will work with the IFC to help get the colony settled.

Jenkins said that the IFC and Beta will have a symbiotic relationship to help nurture the process, until the fraternity establishes itself.

“Beta will help draw more attention to our already successful Greek community,” said Kara Miller, coordinator for Greek affairs. “They are a strong organization and their strength can only enhance the community.”

An invitation was also extended to Pi Kappa Phi fraternity for fall 2008. Pi Kappa Phi was one of the four finalists who presented before the expansion committee.

The Greek community hopes to expand by adding one new organization every two years.

Megan Ondrizek can be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...