ELsewhere – Politicians consider law against hard-to-understand teachers

By Tali Yahalom

Daily Pennsylvanian (U. Penn)

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA-University of Pennsylvania engineering junior Jonathan Lehr thinks he knows why he did poorly in an introductory chemistry lab he took freshman year: He could barely understand his foreign teaching assistant.

Lehr said that the course, which is a requirement for most Engineering students, was predominantly taught by foreign students who are not native English speakers.

But this type of problem is not unique to Lehr, or even to the Chemistry Department. It’s not even unique to Penn.

Students across the country are issuing loud and often formal complaints that they are failing courses and losing scholarship opportunities because they literally can’t understand a word their professors are saying. And the complaints have even reached some state governments.

Minnesota State Rep. Bud Heidgerken (R-Freeport) introduced a bill earlier this month that would force the University of Minnesota to make English fluency a bigger factor in hiring decisions.

People have been complaining about the problem for 25 years, said Heidgerken, who said he was told by Minnesota students that they could send him “busloads of students with similar complaints.”

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...