Am I my brother’s keeper? U.S. and Mexico at a glance

According to an April 11th, USA Today/Gallup Poll, 63 percent of Americans believe illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the USA and become citizens, while only 18 percent believe illegal immigrants should be deported. It is important for us Americans to remember that we are very lucky to live in the best country in the world. One of my Bolivian classmates shared a story about how her village has no clean drinking water. Things are not much better for our Mexican neighbors. According to the CIA Factbook, “[In Mexico, the] natural fresh water resources [are]scarce and polluted in north, inaccessible and poor quality in [the]center and extreme southeast.the government considers the lack of clean water [a]national security issue.”

According to CNN.com, it is estimated that around 70 percent (seven to eight million) of the illegal immigrants currently in the United States are Mexican. According to the World Bank, “In 2002 half the population in Mexico was living in poverty and one-fifth was living in extreme poverty.” Without a doubt Mexicans are coming to America to escape hideous conditions. We Americans must welcome our southern brethren to the land of opportunity.

Recently, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush called the tone of the immigration debate “hurtful” and added, “it’s just plain wrong” to dismiss illegal immigrants as felons. I don’t usually agree with Jeb, and I suspect that his Mexican-born wife Columba had something to do with his observations, but nevertheless he is correct. Many of us still remember in January 1996, when at a campaign rally in Waterloo, Iowa, Pat Buchanan ranted, “I’ll build that security fence, and we’ll close it! And we’ll say, listen Jos

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...