Am I my brother’s keeper? U.S. and Mexico at a glance

According to an April 11th, USA Today/Gallup Poll, 63 percent of Americans believe illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the USA and become citizens, while only 18 percent believe illegal immigrants should be deported. It is important for us Americans to remember that we are very lucky to live in the best country in the world. One of my Bolivian classmates shared a story about how her village has no clean drinking water. Things are not much better for our Mexican neighbors. According to the CIA Factbook, “[In Mexico, the] natural fresh water resources [are]scarce and polluted in north, inaccessible and poor quality in [the]center and extreme southeast.the government considers the lack of clean water [a]national security issue.”

According to CNN.com, it is estimated that around 70 percent (seven to eight million) of the illegal immigrants currently in the United States are Mexican. According to the World Bank, “In 2002 half the population in Mexico was living in poverty and one-fifth was living in extreme poverty.” Without a doubt Mexicans are coming to America to escape hideous conditions. We Americans must welcome our southern brethren to the land of opportunity.

Recently, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush called the tone of the immigration debate “hurtful” and added, “it’s just plain wrong” to dismiss illegal immigrants as felons. I don’t usually agree with Jeb, and I suspect that his Mexican-born wife Columba had something to do with his observations, but nevertheless he is correct. Many of us still remember in January 1996, when at a campaign rally in Waterloo, Iowa, Pat Buchanan ranted, “I’ll build that security fence, and we’ll close it! And we’ll say, listen Jos

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...