Am I my brother’s keeper? U.S. and Mexico at a glance

According to an April 11th, USA Today/Gallup Poll, 63 percent of Americans believe illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay in the USA and become citizens, while only 18 percent believe illegal immigrants should be deported. It is important for us Americans to remember that we are very lucky to live in the best country in the world. One of my Bolivian classmates shared a story about how her village has no clean drinking water. Things are not much better for our Mexican neighbors. According to the CIA Factbook, “[In Mexico, the] natural fresh water resources [are]scarce and polluted in north, inaccessible and poor quality in [the]center and extreme southeast.the government considers the lack of clean water [a]national security issue.”

According to CNN.com, it is estimated that around 70 percent (seven to eight million) of the illegal immigrants currently in the United States are Mexican. According to the World Bank, “In 2002 half the population in Mexico was living in poverty and one-fifth was living in extreme poverty.” Without a doubt Mexicans are coming to America to escape hideous conditions. We Americans must welcome our southern brethren to the land of opportunity.

Recently, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush called the tone of the immigration debate “hurtful” and added, “it’s just plain wrong” to dismiss illegal immigrants as felons. I don’t usually agree with Jeb, and I suspect that his Mexican-born wife Columba had something to do with his observations, but nevertheless he is correct. Many of us still remember in January 1996, when at a campaign rally in Waterloo, Iowa, Pat Buchanan ranted, “I’ll build that security fence, and we’ll close it! And we’ll say, listen Jos

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...