UMNEWS – Students win SPJ Mark of Excellence awards

Greg “Zing” Linch and Gitana Gotay won first-place awards during the Society of Professional Journalists’ regional convention Saturday. Linch, a freshman who intends to major in print journalism, won in the general news category for his stories on the faculty housing crunch. Gotay, a broadcast journalism major, won in the television feature category for her story on the use of fake IDs.

Other students took home awards as well. Ryan Dean won second place in the television general news reporting category, Allison Williams won second place in television sports reporting, Robert Capel won third place in television feature and Nathalie Pozo won third place in television general news reporting.

The staff of The Miami Hurricane won third place for best non-daily student newspaper.

First place winners will compete nationally at the SPJ national convention in August. SPJ members Joanna Davila, Yarel Ramos and Greg Linch attended the conference along with chapter adviser Sallie Hughes.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...