UMNEWS – Students win SPJ Mark of Excellence awards

Greg “Zing” Linch and Gitana Gotay won first-place awards during the Society of Professional Journalists’ regional convention Saturday. Linch, a freshman who intends to major in print journalism, won in the general news category for his stories on the faculty housing crunch. Gotay, a broadcast journalism major, won in the television feature category for her story on the use of fake IDs.

Other students took home awards as well. Ryan Dean won second place in the television general news reporting category, Allison Williams won second place in television sports reporting, Robert Capel won third place in television feature and Nathalie Pozo won third place in television general news reporting.

The staff of The Miami Hurricane won third place for best non-daily student newspaper.

First place winners will compete nationally at the SPJ national convention in August. SPJ members Joanna Davila, Yarel Ramos and Greg Linch attended the conference along with chapter adviser Sallie Hughes.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...