UMNEWS – Students win SPJ Mark of Excellence awards

Greg “Zing” Linch and Gitana Gotay won first-place awards during the Society of Professional Journalists’ regional convention Saturday. Linch, a freshman who intends to major in print journalism, won in the general news category for his stories on the faculty housing crunch. Gotay, a broadcast journalism major, won in the television feature category for her story on the use of fake IDs.

Other students took home awards as well. Ryan Dean won second place in the television general news reporting category, Allison Williams won second place in television sports reporting, Robert Capel won third place in television feature and Nathalie Pozo won third place in television general news reporting.

The staff of The Miami Hurricane won third place for best non-daily student newspaper.

First place winners will compete nationally at the SPJ national convention in August. SPJ members Joanna Davila, Yarel Ramos and Greg Linch attended the conference along with chapter adviser Sallie Hughes.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...