Impressive showing in Lonestar state

The women’s track and field team is poised and ready for the Miami Elite Invitational.

Saturday’s competition will mark the Hurricanes’ second and final time hosting a meet this season.

The women’s team is coming off of an impressive performance at the Texas Relays and is currently ranked third in the country. The Hurricanes look to continue their stellar season this weekend, where they will get a chance to perform in front of family and friends.

Junior All-American Brenda Faluade said she is looking forward to running in front of the student body. Faluade won the long jump at the Texas Relays, breaking her personal best and just missing the school record.

Faluade is from Texas. She said that performing in front of her family and hometown friends helped rejuvenate her.

“It’s more exciting when there’s people there watching and cheering you on,” Faluade said.

Head Coach Amy Deem said she is also happy to have another meet at home. She said it serves as more of a preparatory meet since it falls a week before the ACC Championships. However, Deem doesn’t view it as a time to start taking things lightly. “Most of these girls want to compete whenever they get on the track,” Deem said. “You have to keep things in perspective.”

For the seniors on the team, this weekend will be their last opportunity to run at home as a Hurricane. Among those seniors is All-American Dominique Darden, who was recently named ACC Performer of the Week. Darden placed second in the 400-meter hurdles at the Texas Relays, setting an ACC and school record in the process.

Darden said that having everyone perform well in Texas provided a boost to the mentality of the team.

“I think it was a big motivation,” she said. “It’s not too far out of reach for us to do well at nationals.”

Deem said she feels confident in the potential of this team.

“I think this is the most well-rounded team I’ve ever coached,” Deem said. “I think that they’re starting to believe in themselves.”

Perhaps the only concern going into the Miami Elite Invitational is how the team will be received by the student body and the surrounding Miami area. Although the team has had a successful season, some of the runners feel they are lacking the deserved publicity. Others believe that the school has ignored the program because it does not bring in as much revenue as some of the bigger draws.

Deem said that the women’s track and field team has been referred to as the best kept secret in town. She and the rest of the team hope that Saturday’s efforts will help to shed some positive light on one of the best programs in the country.

“Miami is a tough town,” Deem said. “I hope the community comes out and supports these athletes. They deserve it.”

Joel Brown can be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...