Elsewhere – Disabled Americans still have trouble getting jobs

By Blaise Sewell

Northern Star (Northern Illinois U.)

(U-WIRE) DEKALB, Ill. – In the United States, people with disabilities have faced social and physical barriers for decades. Local groups continue to fight to end negative perceptions and raise awareness of their abilities.

Fifteen years ago, the federal law, Americans with Disabilities Act, made it a violation to discriminate against any person with a disability. Since, the employment rates for those with disabilities has not moved from 70 percent, according to a Harris survey.

Joanne Messina, a visiting assistant psychology professor at Northern Illinois University, is attempting to squash this statistic by working with the disabled to find jobs. She has helped by arranging personal care assistants and educating employers.

“There is a lot of new equipment and technology improving accessibility,” Messina said. “We have computer access that we didn’t have before.”

Also, Messina defended employers, saying some don’t understand the process.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...