Elsewhere – Disabled Americans still have trouble getting jobs

By Blaise Sewell

Northern Star (Northern Illinois U.)

(U-WIRE) DEKALB, Ill. – In the United States, people with disabilities have faced social and physical barriers for decades. Local groups continue to fight to end negative perceptions and raise awareness of their abilities.

Fifteen years ago, the federal law, Americans with Disabilities Act, made it a violation to discriminate against any person with a disability. Since, the employment rates for those with disabilities has not moved from 70 percent, according to a Harris survey.

Joanne Messina, a visiting assistant psychology professor at Northern Illinois University, is attempting to squash this statistic by working with the disabled to find jobs. She has helped by arranging personal care assistants and educating employers.

“There is a lot of new equipment and technology improving accessibility,” Messina said. “We have computer access that we didn’t have before.”

Also, Messina defended employers, saying some don’t understand the process.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...