UMNEWS – Dean Peragallo named to National Institutes of Health board

Nilda P. Peragallo, dean of the School of Nursing and Health Studies, has been appointed by the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services to serve on the National Advisory Council to the National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD). In this distinguished position, Peragallo will consult and provide advice to the National Institutes of Health director, with a major responsibility to review and make recommendations regarding grants for biomedical research and research training activities to improve minority health. The term is for five years.

An internationally renowned researcher on HIV/AIDS prevention in Latino women, Peragallo is widely recognized for her leadership on minority health issues. Among her numerous professional distinctions, she is an officer of the National Coalition of Ethnic Minority Nurse Associations, immediate past president of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses, and founder and co-editor of the journal Hispanic Health Care International.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...