New Lips pout old, new tastes

Never failing to be original, The Flaming Lips released their long-awaited new album last week. At War With The Mystics is in many ways a typical Lips album-it reflects on modern issues, mixes the acoustic songs with vocal songs and mixes the melodious with the cacophonous.

The album has its high points, and these are what hold the album’s themes together. Obvious from the title, At War With The Mystics, allusions to the war in Iraq and commentaries on Bush administration are unmistakable.

In “The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (With All Your Power)” front man Wayne Coyne poses deep questions that deal with contemporary social, economic and political issues. He asks the listener if he or she would “blow up the world with the flick of a switch” or “make everybody poor just so you could be rich” in apparent jabs at the wealthy and powerful. He follows with other such questions, likely pointing to corporate greed and inflaming the Middle East, which all lead up to larger issue: “What would you do with all your power?”

These poignant inquiries are juxtaposed against bubbly, lighthearted “yeah yeah yeah” and “no no no” responses that help give the song its catchy feel, and providing a strong opening for the album.

Coyne offers other notable tracks on the 15-song album such as “The W.A.N.D.” (The Will Always Negates Defeat). The single off is one of the best overall pieces of music on the album with enticing lyrics and swirling with a steady back beat, assorted claps and various other sounds.

“Mr. Ambulance Driver,” originally released on the Wedding Crashers soundtrack, is an appealing and easy-sounding monologue addressed to individual in the title mixed the sound of a siren.

The Lips also offer one of better covers of the classic Queen song “Bohemian Rhapsody” as one of the three bonus tracks, though it lacks the power and gravity of the vocals in the original.

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...