Elsewhere – Anti-hazing bill strides closer to being law

By Jennifer Scholtes

The Orion (Cal State-Chico)

(U-WIRE) SACRAMENTO, Calif.-Debbie Smith was so nervous Tuesday she didn’t think she could walk across the courtroom to speak about why an anti-hazing bill should become state law, she said.

But Smith, whose son died during a hazing ritual, was able to clear the first hurdle toward getting the law passed.

The California Public Safety Committee voted unanimously in support of the Matt’s Law bill Tuesday. It will go through seven more committees before becoming a law.

Smith’s son, Matthew Carrington, a 21-year-old California State University-Chico student, died Feb. 2, 2005, after drinking from a five-gallon jug of water and doing calisthenics throughout the night, police said.

Smith told the committee how her son died and why she thinks hazing needs to stop.

“It’s not about sisterly or brotherly love,” she said. “It’s about power-power to reduce our children to nothing.”

Smith was nervous the first committee wouldn’t pass the bill, she said.

“Oh God, what a great day today was,” she said. “I have been such a wreck.”

If all eight committees pass the bill, Matt’s Law will make hazing a misdemeanor, even if the hazing doesn’t injure anyone. And it will make hazing illegal for everyone, not just students.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...