UMNEWS – National public health expert joins UM faculty

Claude E. Fox, the founder of the Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute, has been named a research professor in the department of epidemiology and public health.

“We are very fortunate to have been able to recruit, with the assistance of University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, one of the finest public health specialists in the nation,” said Clyde McCoy, Ph.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. “We’re extremely excited about the new ventures that he will help lead as we approach this new era with enthusiasm and commitment to quality public health for all Floridians.”

Fox served in two high-profile positions at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services while Shalala was Secretary of HHS. From 1995 through 1997 he was a deputy assistant secretary for health and a key player in setting the Healthy People 2010 health care objectives for the nation. In 1997 he took over as administrator for the department’s Health Resources and Services Administration. The federal health agency had 1,800 employees and a growing $6 billion budget. He served as administrator until 2001 when he joined Johns Hopkins University.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...