UMNEWS – National public health expert joins UM faculty

Claude E. Fox, the founder of the Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute, has been named a research professor in the department of epidemiology and public health.

“We are very fortunate to have been able to recruit, with the assistance of University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, one of the finest public health specialists in the nation,” said Clyde McCoy, Ph.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. “We’re extremely excited about the new ventures that he will help lead as we approach this new era with enthusiasm and commitment to quality public health for all Floridians.”

Fox served in two high-profile positions at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services while Shalala was Secretary of HHS. From 1995 through 1997 he was a deputy assistant secretary for health and a key player in setting the Healthy People 2010 health care objectives for the nation. In 1997 he took over as administrator for the department’s Health Resources and Services Administration. The federal health agency had 1,800 employees and a growing $6 billion budget. He served as administrator until 2001 when he joined Johns Hopkins University.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...