UMNEWS – National public health expert joins UM faculty

Claude E. Fox, the founder of the Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute, has been named a research professor in the department of epidemiology and public health.

“We are very fortunate to have been able to recruit, with the assistance of University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala, one of the finest public health specialists in the nation,” said Clyde McCoy, Ph.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health. “We’re extremely excited about the new ventures that he will help lead as we approach this new era with enthusiasm and commitment to quality public health for all Floridians.”

Fox served in two high-profile positions at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services while Shalala was Secretary of HHS. From 1995 through 1997 he was a deputy assistant secretary for health and a key player in setting the Healthy People 2010 health care objectives for the nation. In 1997 he took over as administrator for the department’s Health Resources and Services Administration. The federal health agency had 1,800 employees and a growing $6 billion budget. He served as administrator until 2001 when he joined Johns Hopkins University.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...