Culture

The Best and Worst of UM

A dreaded list for anything under scrutiny. Leaving no stone unturned, this list highlights the highs and lows of our fine institution, from bathrooms to classrooms to faculty, students, and staff. Agree or disagree, this is the list. Have something to say about it? Tell your friends.

Worst timing

President Shalala’s luxurious, UM-funded home was featured in the New York Times Magazine as the UNICCO workers’ strike began on campus-a publicist’s very worst nightmare.

Best dining hall meal

Grilled cheese sandwiches

Worst dining hall meal

Scrambled eggs Sometimes, they look green.

Most intriguing suggestion

A Boston Globe article said Shalala would be an ideal replacement for Harvard President (and former Clinton Cabinet member) Lawrence Summers, who resigned this semester. The Hurricane still hasn’t gotten comment from Shalala on the subject.

Best student organizations at disappearing off the face of the planet

Council for Democracy, College Republicans and Young Democrats. They seem to have forgotten that 2006 is also an election year.

Student organization you can’t get away from: FEC

They deserve every SOAR award out there simply on sheer spirit, presence and numbers.

Worst named student org

It’s a tie between the UM Grilling Society and SPANC (both of which, coincidentally, have been virtually non-existent on campus after their formation).

Worst personnel move by UNICCO/ Chartwells

Moving Hazel (the happy sandwich lady, who has her own facebook fan club) from the Hecht/Stanford dining hall to the Wellness Center.

Best event to smoke legal (and illegal) substances and be ignored by campus security

The Homecoming Roots concert. Surely the fumes did not help those students that had to take the LSAT the next day.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...