Players battle injury bug in spring practice

Injuries and depth issues continue to plague Miami Football Head Coach Larry Coker during spring practice.

The team has to forge ahead with the players it has.

Coker said he was happy with the squad’s overall performance in Tuesday’s practice.

“The scrimmage was really good,” Coker said. “The defense flew around and made a lot of plays.”

The defense is currently missing a couple notable players. One of them, Brandon Meriweather, will miss the rest of spring after having minor surgery to repair his left shoulder. Meriweather is expected to make a full recovery by the beginning of fall practice.

Another absent Hurricane for more than a week is Willie Williams. Williams was sent home by team trainers from Saturday’s practice with a 102-degree fever.

“It sets you back a lot,” Coker said. “It’s amazing when you don’t practice, you don’t get better.”

Coker said the cornerback position is wide open and he likes what he has seen from Glenn Sharpe, Randy Philips and Bruce Johnson. These three are the frontrunners to take over for Kelly Jennings and Marcus Maxey.

The defense continues to beat the offense more often than not, which is typical in the spring, especially with a team implementing a new scheme.

As for the offense, Coker said he is impressed by the size and speed of Andrew Johnson.

“Andrew may be our fastest back,” Coker said. “He’s our biggest back. We haven’t had a guy that could go the distance since Willis McGahee. I think Andrew could be that guy.”

With Tyrone Moss still recovering from knee surgery, Charlie Jones continues to be the main option.

“Everyone is counting on me to come over and take the load from Tyrone,” Jones said. “I just try to come to practice everyday and make something happen.”

One of the men that will make the running backs’ success possible this season is Reggie Youngblood, who continues to be a popular figure in camp because of how highly touted he was out of high school.

Youngblood said he is confident this year because of a decision by the coaching staff not to red shirt him last year, but rather give him valuable game experience, including about 30 snaps in the game at Temple.

“That was real big, being able to get the nerves out and playing with the first team,” Youngblood said.

Left tackle is often thought of as one of the most important positions in football because it protects the quarterback’s blind side. Youngblood said he is not as concerned with the pressure though.

“I don’t think there is pressure,” Youngblood said. “I’ve been doing this for a long time. I feel like I’m just a good player and I’m going to let my ability show.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...