Men’s track heads to Durham for mid-season Duke Invite

The men’s track and field team will travel to Durham, N.C., for the Duke Invite. The runners are excited and ready to build on the success of the Raleigh Relays, which took place March 24-25.

One of the big concerns at the Duke Invite is the weather. At Raleigh, the runners faced high winds and pouring rain.

Considering that the Duke Invite comes at the midway point of the season, Head Coach Mike Ward said the team feels the meet should serve as a stepping stone to help them prepare for higher levels of competition.

“We’re two weeks out of the ACC Championships, so it is significant in that regard,” Ward said.

Sophomore Casey McGinn is looking to improve on his efforts in Raleigh, where he placed second in the pole vault.

“It was definitely a confidence booster,” said McGinn, who will be competing in the pole vault and the 100-meter sprint.

Perhaps the highest expectations during the Duke Invite will be placed on All-ACC sophomore Tim Harris, who is coming off of a first place effort in Raleigh for the 800-meter.

“If I do everything I have to do, I should come out with a good time,” Harris said.

Improvement is a major factor in the psyche of this team, and Ward said that it is the driving factor for him as a coach.

“You’ve got to have kids that continue to work hard,” Ward said. “You hang your hat on the improvement of your guys.”

McGinn said he feels the same and expects improvement from the entire program.

“We should start doing better,” McGinn said. “I’m looking for a big showing, as is the rest of the team.”

McGinn said his expectations are higher at this point in the year.

“I think it’s very realistic for me to qualify for the regional meet.” McGinn said. “I’m going to have to jump very well, which I know I’m definitely capable of.”

Because of the progress Harris has made this season, he too continues to set high goals for himself.

“I feel like I can win the ACC Championship,” Harris said. “The future looks bright right now for me.”

Since the current men’s track and field team in comprised of predominantly sophomores and freshmen, improvement is foreseeable for not only the remainder of the season, but in years to come.

Harris said that the team always talks about getting better, especially considering that they have a lot of quality freshmen.

McGinn said team unity plays an important role in the growth of the individuals.

“It’s pleasant to be around these guys,” McGinn said. “When they’re doing better, it provides a good pressure, because you want to do well when they do.”

Joel Brown can be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...