Men’s track heads to Durham for mid-season Duke Invite

The men’s track and field team will travel to Durham, N.C., for the Duke Invite. The runners are excited and ready to build on the success of the Raleigh Relays, which took place March 24-25.

One of the big concerns at the Duke Invite is the weather. At Raleigh, the runners faced high winds and pouring rain.

Considering that the Duke Invite comes at the midway point of the season, Head Coach Mike Ward said the team feels the meet should serve as a stepping stone to help them prepare for higher levels of competition.

“We’re two weeks out of the ACC Championships, so it is significant in that regard,” Ward said.

Sophomore Casey McGinn is looking to improve on his efforts in Raleigh, where he placed second in the pole vault.

“It was definitely a confidence booster,” said McGinn, who will be competing in the pole vault and the 100-meter sprint.

Perhaps the highest expectations during the Duke Invite will be placed on All-ACC sophomore Tim Harris, who is coming off of a first place effort in Raleigh for the 800-meter.

“If I do everything I have to do, I should come out with a good time,” Harris said.

Improvement is a major factor in the psyche of this team, and Ward said that it is the driving factor for him as a coach.

“You’ve got to have kids that continue to work hard,” Ward said. “You hang your hat on the improvement of your guys.”

McGinn said he feels the same and expects improvement from the entire program.

“We should start doing better,” McGinn said. “I’m looking for a big showing, as is the rest of the team.”

McGinn said his expectations are higher at this point in the year.

“I think it’s very realistic for me to qualify for the regional meet.” McGinn said. “I’m going to have to jump very well, which I know I’m definitely capable of.”

Because of the progress Harris has made this season, he too continues to set high goals for himself.

“I feel like I can win the ACC Championship,” Harris said. “The future looks bright right now for me.”

Since the current men’s track and field team in comprised of predominantly sophomores and freshmen, improvement is foreseeable for not only the remainder of the season, but in years to come.

Harris said that the team always talks about getting better, especially considering that they have a lot of quality freshmen.

McGinn said team unity plays an important role in the growth of the individuals.

“It’s pleasant to be around these guys,” McGinn said. “When they’re doing better, it provides a good pressure, because you want to do well when they do.”

Joel Brown can be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...