LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I cannot disagree more with the column “Where Eye Contact Can Go Wrong…Horribly Wrong.” I find you authoritative tone on social dynamics and human relations offensive and pompous. Passages like “I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are (do they, really?) who just have no way of functioning,” are extremely arrogant descriptions of people you do not truly know. Perhaps you are passing too quick a judgement? And futhermore, who are you to say who is or is not “socially indept”? What exactly are the parameters of “functioning like a normal human being”? Did you somehwere lay these rules down in stone while the rest of us wer ebeing socially mis-calibrated? It is obvious that you have no researched animal mating rituals or the function of prolonged eye contact in evolutionary biology. So let me educate you. In the animal kingdom, prolonged eye contact means one of two things: I am going to fight you, or I am going to mate with you. This was hor our ancestors go the job done before the advent of language and chessy pick-up lines. That “creepy” feeling yo usay you get when someone stres at you only proves empirically that this method of sub communication still is effective. Your final passage, “If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them feel not only awkward, but want to kill themselves,” is absolutely ridiculous. It is irresponsible to publish such a thing in a newspaper where God forbid, someone might take you seriously. And if people staring at you makes you want to commit suicide, I can scarcely believe that you survived thus far. Strong eye contact is one of the hallmarks of the World’s greatest businessmen and seducers. The storied seducer Lord Byron had his infamous “underlook” which could liteally make a woman tremble with desire. The next time you decide to publish an article where you position youself as some sort of guru, do your research.

Justin Skylar Wu

Sophomore

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...