Elsewhere – 10-year study reveals autism not national epidemic

By Ann Babe

Badger Herald (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-A University of Wisconsin scientist is challenging recent rumors of a national autism epidemic, pointing to a new study.

The study was conducted by Paul Shattuck, a researcher at the UW Waisman Center, in response to a set of statistics released by the U.S. Department of Education.

The statistics-which span from 1992 to 2002-reveal a more than 15,100 percent increase in autistic children in Wisconsin.

Shattuck instead attributed the tremendous increase in autism to a change in the classification system of special-education children.

“My hope is that this research helps people put these numbers in perspective,” Shattuck said. “Most people don’t realize that autism was not added as a separate reporting category until the 1990s.”

Department of Education spokesman Jim Bradshaw concurred, adding that Congress did not formerly require the department to collect statistics specific to autism.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...