AS I SEE IT

Once again providing ample proof of why it’s never a good idea to vote while you’re drunk, Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney is back in the news.

In this latest episode, McKinney was apparently entering the capitol building and, as is the right of all members of Congress, walked around the security checkpoint. One of the policemen manning the station didn’t realize who she was and requested that she stop. Apparently she ignored him and continued on her way.

Not knowing who she was, the policeman allegedly tried to stop her by attempting to physically restrict her movement. In response she is said to have thrown her cell phone at the man.

When asked why she responded this way, McKinney, in addition to claiming that she was touched inappropriately, alleged that she was only dealt with this way because she’s African American.

You would think by now that she might at least try to be a little more creative in her reasons for acting like such an ass. But why, when the race card has served her so well? Cynthia McKinney is an unbridled idiot, but more importantly she’s also a perfect example of how racism is not an inherent condition; it’s a learned trait.

To understand how she got this way we need to review the record of one Billy McKinney, Cynthia’s father.

The elder McKinney, himself a former long-term member of the Georgia legislature, was fired from his daughter’s 1996 congressional campaign because he continuously maligned her Republican opponent’s religious heritage-he’s Jewish. Apparently that’s such a terrible thing to McKinney the elder that he thought it was perfectly appropriate to label the man “a racist Jew”. As a result, Cynthia was forced to ask her father to stay away from the campaign.

Six years later, when Cynthia was defeated in the ’02 Democratic primary, her father stated he could spell the reason why she lost. He then looked at the camera and mouthed the letters-J-E-W-S. Actually, I think it would have probably been more accurate to say that she lost because she’s an I-D-I-O-T. But what do I know?

Let us not forget that on March 17, 1995, the last day of the Georgia legislative session, the elder McKinney brandished a knife at a fellow white legislator telling him according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “I’ve had enough of you this year” and “I will get you in the street and I will cut you.” Later McKinney claimed there was no way he could have pulled a knife on anyone: “I don’t carry a knife,” McKinney said. “I carry a gun.”

Little wonder that whenever Cynthia does something completely unacceptable by the standards of reasonable humans, it’s always her claim that she’s being unfairly held to a different standard because she’s African-American.

Unfortunately she’s committing the same crime as her father. In her 2002 concession speech, McKinney said that now that she wasn’t going to be in Congress anymore she was going to devote herself to teaching her son to be a “good, black man”. I guess we should infer from that statement, that in the mind of the McKinneys there’s a significant difference between being a “good, black man,” and being a good man.

I just don’t accept that. One is either a good person or they aren’t; melanin has nothing to do with it.

Having said that I am willing to grant one point: there is indeed a readily apparent difference in her case.

There are reasonable, responsible adults… and then there’s Cynthia McKinney.

Scott Wacholtz is a graduate student in the history department. He can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...