Women’s track travels to Texas for big meet

The women’s track and field team is preparing for the Texas Relays this Wednesday at the University of Texas.

The Texas Relays is one of the most important meets in collegiate track. The best programs from across the country hone their skills.

Miami Head Coach Amy Deem said the stands are always packed with excitable fans. There are also parties and performances scheduled around the Texas Relays that create a miniature all-star weekend for track and field.

“Our girls understand why we’re there, to play hard and compete well. They know there’s a time for everything else,” Deem said.

Senior All-American Dominique Darden, who will be in the 400-meter hurdles and the 1600-meter sprint medley, said that the Texas Relays is ideal to showcase potential. Darden ranks the Texas Relays in the top three in terms of important events, with the Penn Relays and the NCAA Championships.

Due to the prominence of the event, Olympians, agents and national press are normally present. Despite the inevitable pressure, senior All-American India Ransom said performing at a high level is simply a matter of focus.

“You want to do well because you know people are watching, but you have to tune them out,” Ransom said.

The women’s track program seems to be doing quite well thus far, as six members of the team recently earned All-American status. Ransom was named ACC Performer of the Week on March 20.

The players don’t seem to pay too much attention to their accolade, however.

“We don’t stress All-American status,” Darden said. “It’s a great accomplishment, but if I’m not doing well, it’s worth nothing.”

Despite the players downplaying the awards, Deem said she enjoys seeing the women get rewarded for their hard work. She said she believes the team has played a big part in developing a positive reputation for track at this university.

Although women’s track has been gaining a well-deserved buzz because of its recent success, some of the runners believe that they are still unfairly disregarded for the most part by the student body and the university press.

“I don’t think we get as much credit as we should,” Ransom said. “We fall right under football, if not above them.”

Joel Brown can be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...