Women’s track travels to Texas for big meet

The women’s track and field team is preparing for the Texas Relays this Wednesday at the University of Texas.

The Texas Relays is one of the most important meets in collegiate track. The best programs from across the country hone their skills.

Miami Head Coach Amy Deem said the stands are always packed with excitable fans. There are also parties and performances scheduled around the Texas Relays that create a miniature all-star weekend for track and field.

“Our girls understand why we’re there, to play hard and compete well. They know there’s a time for everything else,” Deem said.

Senior All-American Dominique Darden, who will be in the 400-meter hurdles and the 1600-meter sprint medley, said that the Texas Relays is ideal to showcase potential. Darden ranks the Texas Relays in the top three in terms of important events, with the Penn Relays and the NCAA Championships.

Due to the prominence of the event, Olympians, agents and national press are normally present. Despite the inevitable pressure, senior All-American India Ransom said performing at a high level is simply a matter of focus.

“You want to do well because you know people are watching, but you have to tune them out,” Ransom said.

The women’s track program seems to be doing quite well thus far, as six members of the team recently earned All-American status. Ransom was named ACC Performer of the Week on March 20.

The players don’t seem to pay too much attention to their accolade, however.

“We don’t stress All-American status,” Darden said. “It’s a great accomplishment, but if I’m not doing well, it’s worth nothing.”

Despite the players downplaying the awards, Deem said she enjoys seeing the women get rewarded for their hard work. She said she believes the team has played a big part in developing a positive reputation for track at this university.

Although women’s track has been gaining a well-deserved buzz because of its recent success, some of the runners believe that they are still unfairly disregarded for the most part by the student body and the university press.

“I don’t think we get as much credit as we should,” Ransom said. “We fall right under football, if not above them.”

Joel Brown can be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...