Where eye contact can go wrong…horribly wrong

there are a number of things that people like to complain and gripe about on this campus. Some don’t like the UNICCO situation, others complain about their RAs or professors. Well, I found a problem that relates to all areas of student life. I am sick and tired of awkward moments. I don’t just mean seeing someone that you met freshman year and not knowing whether or not you’re on that level where you can say “hey” to them. I mean the socially inept individuals, and they know who they are, who just have no way of functioning like a normal human being.

OK, some awkward moments are just unavoidable; for the individuals who have to deal with the morning after a night of too much drinking, accidentally texting someone the wrong message, or talking about someone when they are walking right behind you (all of which have happened to people I know). But no, I’m talking about those on this campus that seem to have come from another planet.or the Everglades. To these people, who exist in many different forms, I just want to say: Do you really think it’s a good idea to just be staring at people you don’t know? Do you honestly like to thrive off the feeling of knowing you are creeping someone out? Why do you like awkward moments? It’s just not normal. There is no reason that anyone should cringe at the though of riding in an elevator, but hey, if you’re going to get on with one of these “special” people, we seem to find ourselves staring at those numbers wondering why all of a sudden they are moving in slow motion.

These individuals need some help, along with a pair of sunglasses. At least for some, it will help hide the obvious fact that they don’t know how to function properly. There are the few that are beyond help at all, but I think our campus would really be a better place if these people knew how to act. Especially if you see someone consistently who lives, say across the hall from you, there’s no reason to pretend you don’t know them, because it’s obvious that you know who they are! Here’s a quick run-down: if you see someone that you think you recognize, say “hey” instead of just power-walking past. The worst that can happen is that they won’t know who you are and will just think that you are really friendly. If you do not know a person, it is under no circumstances OK to just continue to stare at them all the time, making them not only feel awkward, but want to kill themselves. No one should live in fear of having one of these awkward encounters, and we should really put an end to them. If everyone could just follow these few basic rules, our campus would be a better place for all.

Adela Ghadimi is a sophomore majoring in political science and international studies. She can be contacted at a.ghadimi@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...