Here’s a novel idea: Let’s impeach President Bush

“When Clinton lied, no one died.” I saw this on a car in the parking lot, and it struck a cord with me.

About eight years ago President Clinton was impeached by the House for lying about whether he had “sexual relations” with Monica Lewinsky, and barely received enough Senate votes to stay in office. The impeachment ordeal put strain on nearly two years of the former president’s second term, and kept Clinton from concentrating on much more crucial matters. And all this because he didn’t want to tell the world about something very personal that had nothing to do with the affairs of the United States of America.

The bumper sticker implies that President Bush has lied as well, but about something very different: the cause of the war in Iraq. If President Bush has lied about the reasons for going to war, then he has caused the unnecessary death of hundreds of American soldiers, and thousands of Iraqis.

The major reason the Bush administration gave for going to war was that Saddam Hussein had a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. Not only have none been found since the war began, but at the time of Bush’s statement, the possibility of WMD was not supported by intelligence analysts. Also, according to David Corn, the Washington editor of The Nation, the CIA had concluded that Iraq was far from developing a nuclear weapons program.

Bush has lied, and people have died. His lies have an infinitely more negative and widespread impact than Clinton’s. So why hasn’t Congress impeached him?

Karyn Meshbane is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience. She can be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...