Here’s a novel idea: Let’s impeach President Bush

“When Clinton lied, no one died.” I saw this on a car in the parking lot, and it struck a cord with me.

About eight years ago President Clinton was impeached by the House for lying about whether he had “sexual relations” with Monica Lewinsky, and barely received enough Senate votes to stay in office. The impeachment ordeal put strain on nearly two years of the former president’s second term, and kept Clinton from concentrating on much more crucial matters. And all this because he didn’t want to tell the world about something very personal that had nothing to do with the affairs of the United States of America.

The bumper sticker implies that President Bush has lied as well, but about something very different: the cause of the war in Iraq. If President Bush has lied about the reasons for going to war, then he has caused the unnecessary death of hundreds of American soldiers, and thousands of Iraqis.

The major reason the Bush administration gave for going to war was that Saddam Hussein had a stockpile of weapons of mass destruction. Not only have none been found since the war began, but at the time of Bush’s statement, the possibility of WMD was not supported by intelligence analysts. Also, according to David Corn, the Washington editor of The Nation, the CIA had concluded that Iraq was far from developing a nuclear weapons program.

Bush has lied, and people have died. His lies have an infinitely more negative and widespread impact than Clinton’s. So why hasn’t Congress impeached him?

Karyn Meshbane is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience. She can be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...