AS I SEE IT

In the beginning of the entire STAND-induced UNICCO drama, I was willing to believe most of those involved were all just a bit misguided. I say this because I genuinely feel, as someone who has been employed in these types of jobs, that STAND and those who enable the wokers are not really helping anyone.

Janitorial work is a crap job. While not being an easy thing to do, the objective should be to eventually find something better. One of the main incentives in finding something better-especially when considering the type of work you have to do-is that something better will lead to a better life.

There’s an old saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. To make a better life for oneself, one would need to metaphorically learn how to fish better. Not an easy road for sure, but nothing of value in life ever is. Instead of doing something that would really help the workers over the long term like working with the universities in the area to provide improved tuition credits and perhaps greater access to university medical services, all STAND and their enablers have done is get the workers a few more fish, something that may ease things slightly in the short term but does nothing beyond that. In the end all they’re doing is making it easier for the workers to stay stuck in a crap job. But what does STAND care? They’ll all be long gone off protesting the WTO by then.

Most students had at least varying degrees of sympathy for the workers. Then STAND pulled that cheap-ass circus stunt, Mickey-Mouse sit-down last week and once again put the same three students right in the center of the television cameras. And what a shock! Two of those students were part of the mediation group last Friday.claiming to represent the majority, I’m sure.

All the students that participated in the sit-down should at the very least be suspended for the remainder of the semester, or have their tuition-remission benefits revoked if they participate in disrupting the very university that provides those benefits. While I was just joking before, now I believe contracting with UNICCO is just too much of a disruption. UM should buy out the contract as soon as possible and start over with something better.

It’s no secret what I think of STAND. They’re a disruptive element on campus, especially given the fact that their entire future agenda seems to be designed to force everyone to adhere to their moral standards-hint, drink lots and lots of Coke. I think the administration should get them the hell out of any mediation talks. SEIU is already represented; we don’t need their children’s division in any meeting to facilitate more ad nauseam bloviating. They’ve already wasted enough of everyone’s time.

Scott Wacholtz is a graduate student in the history department. He can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...