Pearson looks to show off its international flair

The Foreign Language Department and Pearson Residential College (PRC) have teamed up to create La Casa Internationale. which will be a living community focused on bringing together students from different backgrounds. The program aims to provide students an international study experience that they would have gained studying abroad while living at UM.

The multicultural living community will be located on the first floor of Pearson, and will be an expansion of a current program called La Casa Cultural, which focused solely on the Latin cultures. The idea for the living community was proposed in 2000 by former Associate Master of PRC Professor Rebecca Biron, a faulty member in the department of foreign languages and literatures.

Since then, the program and the plans for an expansion, which would incorporate other cultures, have been well received by students.

“This will be the first living and learning program where the students actually only speak these languages,” said Lillian Manzor, associate master of PRC.

Students interested in the program must have taken one year of Spanish, Portuguese, French or the equivalent.

“The students are required to speak the language as much as possible and participate in the activities,” Manzor said.

Manzor feels that this community, also described as “The World Block,” will make speaking and practicing a language much easier.

Antionette Ragland, sophomore, who was appointed RA of the international floor, feels that this will be a great opportunity meet new people and network.

“This program will promote the fact that communication is the key and there won’t be as big of a barrier,” Ragland said.

She looks forward to coming up with exciting activities with her fellow floor-mates next year.

According to Manzor, some of the proposed program ideas are an international movie series, creating programs in conjunction with the art school and hosting international dinners.

Students seem to be supportive of the program.

“I think it would be really cool, because it will allow students to learn and participate in other culture,” Monica Castro, freshman, said.

Students also feel that this program will add to the diversity of the Pearson community.

“It will help diversify Pearson because it will give students who speak those languages an opportunity to speak their native language,” Kellie Jackson, junior, said.

Students can choose to apply for La Casa Internationale by choosing the option when they fill out their application for housing next year.

The department of residence halls will act as a filter for the program by providing a list of students who indicated interest in the program on their housing application to the department of foreign languages. Foreign Languages will then proceed with the multicultural living community application process.

Although Residence Halls is not an active participant, the department is excited to see the outcome of this expanded program, Jon Baldessari, associate director of Residence Halls, said.

When asked if more programs such as this will be expanded to other residence colleges, Baldessari said that they are open to the idea, but it is tough to predict for now.

Khris Parker can be contacted at k.parker1@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...