LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Worker strike: justice, or insanity?

I saw the crowd. I got angry. What was this protest about? What did the protestors expect to achieve?

The protest was about the University recognizing the card ballot that UNICCO workers used to vote SEIU as their union. UNICCO, as is their legal right, requested that another vote be taken by secret ballot to ensure that SEIU was not pressuring workers.

An SEIU representative at the protest said that the law concerning union elections is wrong because a secret ballot election takes too long. If the law is wrong, then whose problem is it? THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! What is this protest doing at the University? Is SEIU expecting the University to back a process not sanctioned by the law?

This whole effort reeks of insanity. The workers were yelling (in Spanish), “Justice! Now!,” “What do we want? Justice!” Guess what? UM does not control the Nation Labor Relations Board. The SEIU representative wanted Shalala to tell UNICCO to recognize the card ballot. Or what? UM will cancel the contract? Then all the workers would be out of jobs!

UNICCO workers said they wanted respect-they have lost all of it from me. While I’m writing this, I have a friend inside the admissions office. It is morally wrong for workers and SEIU to support students throwing away opportunities because UNICCO workers don’t have any. It’s petty and selfish.

In disgust, I turned to the crowd and shouted (in Spanish), “This is not justice! This is insanity!”

Dan Ohrenstein

Sophomore

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...