LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Worker strike: justice, or insanity?

I saw the crowd. I got angry. What was this protest about? What did the protestors expect to achieve?

The protest was about the University recognizing the card ballot that UNICCO workers used to vote SEIU as their union. UNICCO, as is their legal right, requested that another vote be taken by secret ballot to ensure that SEIU was not pressuring workers.

An SEIU representative at the protest said that the law concerning union elections is wrong because a secret ballot election takes too long. If the law is wrong, then whose problem is it? THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! What is this protest doing at the University? Is SEIU expecting the University to back a process not sanctioned by the law?

This whole effort reeks of insanity. The workers were yelling (in Spanish), “Justice! Now!,” “What do we want? Justice!” Guess what? UM does not control the Nation Labor Relations Board. The SEIU representative wanted Shalala to tell UNICCO to recognize the card ballot. Or what? UM will cancel the contract? Then all the workers would be out of jobs!

UNICCO workers said they wanted respect-they have lost all of it from me. While I’m writing this, I have a friend inside the admissions office. It is morally wrong for workers and SEIU to support students throwing away opportunities because UNICCO workers don’t have any. It’s petty and selfish.

In disgust, I turned to the crowd and shouted (in Spanish), “This is not justice! This is insanity!”

Dan Ohrenstein

Sophomore

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...