Football gets into swing of things

The last time Miami football fans saw its team play, the Hurricanes were being blown out of the Peach Bowl 40-3. Fans continue to have that image in mind because spring practice is closed to the public, media included.

The coaching staff sounded positive on Tuesday about the direction the team is going.

“We’re making progress,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “As long as we keep making progress I will be happy.”

The main worry for Coker has been on the offensive side of the ball. For that reason, the Hurricanes changed the coaching staff and brought in Rich Olson as offensive coordinator, Marquis Mosley as receivers coach and Todd Berry as quarterback coach. These three men are looked at as the cornerstone pieces updating an offense that has been labeled as predictable.

Many of the familiar faces on offense will be back this season. Kyle Wright is still the quarterback. Ryan Moore, Darnell Jenkins and Lance Leggett are the receivers. Charlie Jones is still the starting running back until Tyrone Moss recovers from knee surgery.

The offensive line has elicited many questions. Anthony Wollschlager is the only returning starter from the offensive line of last season that gave up nine sacks to Florida State.

“The offensive line is young, but I definitely think we are going to take a step up from last year,” Wright said.

Young is the key word for the offensive line this season, as in sophomore Reggie Youngblood. Youngblood was the third highest rated lineman by Scout.com coming out of high school.

“Youngblood is as good as advertised,” Coker said. “He is still young and learning. He is going to be a good player.”

Coker said that he was impressed by the entire line and singled Tyrone Byrd out as well for his solid contribution this spring.

The big story of the spring, however, is Lance Leggett. Leggett was another highly touted recruit coming out of high school, but has not lived up to the billing yet. He was even removed from the starting lineup last season.

Coker said numerous distractions got a hold of Leggett last season, but he is much more focused and ready this spring.

Wright spoke about Leggett’s importance to the team after practice Tuesday.

“He means huge big plays up and down the field,” Wright said. “A happy, healthy Lance Leggett is going to be scary for other defenses.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...