LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Though I am a founding member of STAND I would like to stray from our living wage advocacy to comment on your handling of our rather controversial campaign. STAND was formed with a vision of participatory and active democracy within our campus. We saw our university not as a mere career preparation center, but an institution that promotes an interest in the world around us.

We envisioned a UM with a political and cultural atmosphere rich with discourse and debate that is essential for any functioning democracy. With this said, I thank you for your even-handed coverage of the living wage issue. You appropriately presented all sides to the issue and in detail. Your role as the mediator of the primary publication on campus is a crucial one and you’ve handled this responsibility with admirable competence and integrity. I have seen our student body awaken with healthy political awareness and we owe this largely to the Hurricane. Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Patrick J. Walsh

Students Toward A New Democracy

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...