LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Though I am a founding member of STAND I would like to stray from our living wage advocacy to comment on your handling of our rather controversial campaign. STAND was formed with a vision of participatory and active democracy within our campus. We saw our university not as a mere career preparation center, but an institution that promotes an interest in the world around us.

We envisioned a UM with a political and cultural atmosphere rich with discourse and debate that is essential for any functioning democracy. With this said, I thank you for your even-handed coverage of the living wage issue. You appropriately presented all sides to the issue and in detail. Your role as the mediator of the primary publication on campus is a crucial one and you’ve handled this responsibility with admirable competence and integrity. I have seen our student body awaken with healthy political awareness and we owe this largely to the Hurricane. Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Patrick J. Walsh

Students Toward A New Democracy

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...